Is there a way to tell if a capped queen cell is viable in the hive?

Default Is there a way to tell if a capped queen cell is viable in the hive?

I have been in hives this summer that had capped queen cells which I knew were not viable because they had been in the colony for longer than 16 days but they appeared to be intact. Does a new queen sting thru the wax without an obvious hole. Why do the workers not tear them down? If you see a capped queen cell in a hive, is there any way to know whether it is viable if it appears to be intact? If workers seem to be covering it, does that indicate a living queen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Is there a way to tell if a capped queen cell is viable in the hive?

If the workers are on it, it is most likely viable. If has been capped for more than 9 days, it is not. If it is not surrounded by capped brood, it is probably not a good cell. I err on the side of caution. Found an intact qc this past Sunday surrounded by empty comb. Cut it out and put it in the incubator. Candled it today and saw the shriveled up larva. Tossed it out.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.