Creamed honey question

Default Creamed honey question

I made my 10:1 liquid to seed mixture. The liquid honey was about 90 degrees (from the bottling tank) and cooling. I used a large drill attachment to mix in a 5 gal bucket with honey gate. I then bottled. I stuck one jar in the fridge as a side experiment and put the rest in the basement- no thermometer but I’d guess it’s in the 50’s. I do anticipate air bubbles due to the mixer. Am i all wrong or will i get creamed honey at some point?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Creamed honey question

You say 90 degrees and cooling, so i don't know what the actual temperature was. But if it was a genuine 90 degrees, that is way too hot and very likely melted the little seed crystals in your seed (starter) honey.

You'll just have to wait and see i guess. The ultimate temperature for creaming honey is 57 degrees, which includes mixing in the starter honey.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

What he said

Couple questions: Last year I unintentionally made some fantastic creamed honey. I am almost out of it, but I have some set aside as seed so I can make some more.
    1. Preferred way of mixing? Are bubbles an issue with a drill mixer? I will only be making a small amt (2-5 gallons) so I could mix small batches by hand if I have to.
    2. Storage. From the above I am assuming I should store in a cool place at least until creamed, correct?
    Last year I put a 5 gal bucket of liquid honey in my basement and it creamed beautifully. My basement is cool, but not sure what the temp was. I can wait until winter to make it to be sure its cold enough. J

Air bubbles are an issue if you are going to sell it, for personal use not as important. I like the drill mixer that Blue Sky sells for 5 gal. patches, looks like a cork screw, run it so it pulls from the bottom of the bucket and it doesn't stir in many bubbles.
    The ideal temp. is 57 deg. if I remember right. 55 to 60 is just fine. I like my creamed honey firm so I try to store it at 70 or below.

Correct, you do not want air bubbles in it, or at least not very small fine ones. They get trapped and look very unattractive in a glass jar.

Yes the temperature is important. Even if you use good quality creamed starter honey, the honey can granulate coarse if held for creaming at the wrong temperature. What should happen is the honey temperature is at or close to 57 degrees, has 10% starter added and thoroughly blended. The honey will then be completely creamed in 3 days if held at 57 degrees.

If not stirred during creaming it will be what is called "hard creamed". If you want a soft creamed, ie, can be spread on a bit of bread without too much problems, it should be stirred during creaming, which prevents the tiny crystals locking into each other. Commercial packers use a very slow continous stirrer throughout the creaming process, but for a guy doing a few gallons at home it would probably be enough to stir it up every few hours.

Also for a hobbyist without temperature control, if you can cream honey during a time of year when the ambient temperature is around 57 degrees, and have it in a basement or similar which will reduce temperature swings, you can get a fair result even though temperature varied somewhat.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Great info, thanks guys. J