How to care for gloves?

Default How to care for gloves?

I have the typical gloves, cloth and leather. How do I clean them? Clothes washer? Hand clean somehow?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How to care for gloves?

I think the best way to wash the gloves is while wearing them. Scrub with soap and a brush and the wear them until dry. Made the mistake once of tossing them in the washing machine and then drying them in the dryer. Spent about half an hour of stretching and still couldnt get my hands in. Finally got them wet again and stretched them out properly. Mostly wash them to get alarm pheromones and honey off. The propolis is there to stay.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Thanks JW!

Start with good goatskin gloves. Second, lightly oil the leather with neatsfoot oil or Ballistol. As JWP says, wash them while wearing. I hang them to dry. Then a light reapplication of oil and you're good to go. Avoid cowhide, it will get really stiff after drying, even if oiled. After getting wet, goat will dry out and still be flexible.
    Never ask a barber it he thinks you need a haircut.

Pick up a handful of dry loamy dirt and rub it around in your hands. Dirt baths get the sticky off. If you need to wash them, cold water, air dry, and before they are totally dry, put them on again so they stretch out to fit.