Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How to care for gloves?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ApricotApiaries 
#1 ·
I have the typical gloves, cloth and leather. How do I clean them? Clothes washer? Hand clean somehow?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I think the best way to wash the gloves is while wearing them. Scrub with soap and a brush and the wear them until dry. Made the mistake once of tossing them in the washing machine and then drying them in the dryer. Spent about half an hour of stretching and still couldnt get my hands in. Finally got them wet again and stretched them out properly. Mostly wash them to get alarm pheromones and honey off. The propolis is there to stay.

#4 ·
Start with good goatskin gloves. Second, lightly oil the leather with neatsfoot oil or Ballistol. As JWP says, wash them while wearing. I hang them to dry. Then a light reapplication of oil and you're good to go. Avoid cowhide, it will get really stiff after drying, even if oiled. After getting wet, goat will dry out and still be flexible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.