SHB Larva?

Thread: SHB Larva?

Default SHB Larva?

I have a Top Bar Hive with a screened bottom. I cut a hole in the flap ( which is below the screen) and mounted a small mason jar facing upward. In the jar I put some apple cider vinegar( in a plastic screw top) and surrounded that with mineral oil.
    On a recent inspection I see small larva - about 1/4" long and very thin. Are these SHB larva? I'm confused because all the pics I see of SHB larva are big, fat, and crawling over comb. - Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

Default Re: SHB Larva?

All my SHB larvae are small and thin.
    Wax moth larvae are big and fat in comparison.

SHB Info:
    https://www.clemson.edu/extension/be...ve-beetle.html

No. Those are fat, juicey larva. What I have are very thin, like a piece of sewing thread.

Small hive beetle larvae start out very small and grow rapidly. And, there are usually a lot of them once they start hatching. You will see them entering and exiting the capped brood. Wax moth larvae are generally fewer and tunnel under the comb leaving webs and poop as they go. Eventually the wax moth larvae get quite large and can be used as fishing bait. Post a picture, but chances are very good you have SHB.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Small hive beetle larvae start out very small and grow rapidly. And, there are usually a lot of them once they start hatching. You will see them entering and exiting the capped brood. Wax moth larvae are generally fewer and tunnel under the comb leaving webs and poop as they go. Eventually the wax moth larvae get quite large and can be used as fishing bait. Post a picture, but chances are very good you have SHB.
    Thanks . Fortunately, I seem to be catching a bunch. - Mike