Painting active hive

Default Painting active hive

I was caught short of equipment and had to assemble a super, load it with frames/foundation, and place it on one of my colonies. Is there any reason I shouldn't sneak out there and paint (exterior latex paint) the outside of the super while it is still on the colony? Or, is this "over-thinking" a problem that doesn't really exist and I should just wait to paint it in the natural course of harvesting . . . (I may have just answered my own question!)

Thanks for any input!

Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Painting active hive

I would just get another box, paint it, wait a few days, and then swap it out during your next inspection. The paint fumes may affect the bees. If you wait until fall when you pull the super the wood probably will not deteriorate to bad and you can paint it then.

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    I would just get another box, paint it, wait a few days, and then swap it out during your next inspection. The paint fumes may affect the bees. If you wait until fall when you pull the super the wood probably will not deteriorate to bad and you can paint it then.
    Probably the best course of action. I don't know why I felt compelled to paint it NOW! . . . must be my OCD kicking in!

Thanks

I did try this one time on a single decker hive waiting for a purchaser to collect it. I was also painting boxes that day so had paint of the right color on the paint brush, decided a dash of paint on the hive would make it look crisp and new when the customer showed up. Nice sunny day, paint would be been dry in an hour.

Bad mistake. Never knew so many bees walk on the box before they go back into the hive. Within minutes of the "lick of paint", there were bees stuck upside down by the wings all over the front of the hive. So i had to hang around flicking them off, but in the end the marks in the paint and the bits of wings made the hive look so messy I had to quickly switch out the boxes before the customer arrived.

Had I painted and walked away, next time i looked at the hive, the front would have been decorated with a good number of glued down bees.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I did try this one time on a single decker hive waiting for a purchaser to collect it. I was also painting boxes that day so had paint of the right color on the paint brush, decided a dash of paint on the hive would make it look crisp and new when the customer showed up. Nice sunny day, paint would be been dry in an hour.

Bad mistake. Never knew so many bees walk on the box before they go back into the hive. Within minutes of the "lick of paint", there were bees stuck upside down by the wings all over the front of the hive. So i had to hang around flicking them off, but in the end the marks in the paint and the bits of wings made the hive look so messy I had to quickly switch out the boxes before the customer arrived.

Had I painted and walked away, next time i looked at the hive, the front would have been decorated with a good number of glued down bees.
    I had not even considered that! You're absolutely right, the little darlings would totally ignore the "Wet Paint" sign!

G