EFB? Waiting on my test kit - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: EFB? Waiting on my test kit

if found it interesting that username's state inspector instructed him/her to apply fall and spring preventative treatments, which is seemingly at odds with the vfd regulations now in force.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    are you surprised, what is the state of Penn. going to do?
    I left a message asking for the seller's advice on how to treat the colonies. I didn't ask for an explanation, or a refund. Just asked for his advice. No call back.

The inspector asked me if there was a receipt, or a bill of sale. Anyone here ever get a receipt for Nuc purchases ? I certainly did not.

I would have preferred a partial refund, and I would have preferred that the state inspects the seller's bees for signs of EFB.

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotApiaries View Post
    You do NOT need to kill EFB infected colonies. Feed them and requeen them, do a mite sample. PMS and EFB can look pretty similar. Nutritional support goes a long way. A short brood break goes a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    this advice is outdated...
    Quote Originally Posted by ApricotApiaries View Post
    I dont think this advice is outdated at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    since pms and efb can look pretty similar, do you run a lab for m. plutonius in addition to doing a mite sample?
    with all do respect to apricot apiaries, it appears that he/she doesn't have the time and/or desire to respond to the question of whether or not the colonies he/she turned around with requeening and feeding were positively identified with efb.

i am not claiming to be an expert on efb having only had this year's experience to draw from. that experience however has caused me to do a pretty exhaustive literature search, as well as communicate personally with folks at the bee lab in beltsville, with folks at our apiary protection unit here in alabama, and others more qualified on the subject than i am.

no where have i found requeening and feeding as a recommended way to remedy a hive with a confirmed diagnosis of efb. given the pathogenesis of this malady it really makes no sense that this would do much to rid the colony and the equipment of the bacteria.

i agree that no one should jump straight to destruction by fire every time there is sick brood in the hive. the first step anytime efb is suspected is to obtain confirmation with a field test or send samples to a lab so they can rule it in/out.

there are three accepted methods of treating efb: a course of oxytetracyline, shook swarming, and destruction. post #197 of this thread https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...-options/page5 shows that none of these three methods has been shown 100% effective at ridding an apiary from recurrence of efb.

the slides in that post were taken from this video presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0B9...ature=youtu.be

this is very highly recommended viewing for those who have not seen it already.

also from that video is this slide:

1.jpg

this study showed there is virtually a 100% chance that any colonies within 30' of a colony infected with efb will test positive for efb. so if one finds it in their yard, and if it happens to be an especially virulent strain of efb that can quickly migrate from hive to hive, messing around with unproven methods may not play out so well.

in switzerland, efb is reportable and dealt with by mandatory destruction by fire. if over half the colonies in an apiary are found infected the whole apiary is burned.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I don't see what requeening does... unless some bees are resistant to EFB? I don't know if that's the case. I do know I'm seeing it pop up more and more in old comb..... been doing cutouts lately and it's pretty surprising to see EFB so common in ones that are on comb that looks like chocolate, but it's one of those things when ur framing comb at 1am in the morning and it's much easier to see that stuff at night. Some colonies it doesn't seem to affect though, still see solid patterns. The one last night had a mix, 50/50 old comb and new comb. The brood in the new comb was probably 50% the infection rate I was seeing in the old comb.... perhaps rotating comb is a good thing afterall

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    I don't see what requeening does... unless some bees are resistant to EFB?
    fusion_power mentioned that some strains of bee demonstrated resistance to efb i believe by having some enzyme they produced that was added to brood food. dar, if you are following and happen to recall where you saw that i am interested, haven't been able to turn it up by searching yet.

even with a 'resistant' queen, the colony would be 3 weeks away from having new nurse bees. my colonies with efb were already quite dwindled even in that short of a time frame.

jrg, interesting that you are seeing efb common in your cut outs and also interesting about your observation with new/old comb.

@squarepeg Thank you for the replies. Here's an update. I emailed the company I got my package from and sent them pictures. They said it looked like EFB, said their vet wouldn't write the vfd for the terramycin, and asked for my credit card for a new queen. Obviously I wont get from them again. Everyone is sold out of the test kits except for one guy on Ebay. I ordered some and when they never came he said he actually didn't have them. So I've sent a sample to the usda and waiting to hear back. My queen died and there are emergency cells right now. They are trying to stay alive but I doubt they'll make it. I'm just hoping it doesnt spread to the other hives. I did move the hive away and stopped sharing equipment. I've had a hard time finding a vet for the vfd but I just found someone who will write the rx once I hear back positive from the usda.

what a nightmare megan. very sad to hear about it, but thanks for getting back us the update.

fingers and toes crossed it doesn't show up in your other hives, best of luck to you and your bees.

Could anyone here on Beesource help her out with a test kit? I have two, but they are both out of date. Don't know how that might affect the test results.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by meganmarie View Post
    @squarepeg Thank you for the replies. Here's an update. I emailed the company I got my package from and sent them pictures. They said it looked like EFB, said their vet wouldn't write the vfd for the terramycin, and asked for my credit card for a new queen. Obviously I wont get from them again. Everyone is sold out of the test kits except for one guy on Ebay. I ordered some and when they never came he said he actually didn't have them. So I've sent a sample to the usda and waiting to hear back. My queen died and there are emergency cells right now. They are trying to stay alive but I doubt they'll make it. I'm just hoping it doesnt spread to the other hives. I did move the hive away and stopped sharing equipment. I've had a hard time finding a vet for the vfd but I just found someone who will write the rx once I hear back positive from the usda.
    Emergency cells die from EFB.

How many hives do you have, and how many are affected by EFB?

Meg, are you able to find a vet?

Call mann-lake, get them to send you a copy of their veterinarian's directive form.

That form needs to be completed by a vet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12