formic pro/MAQS cause the shotgun pattern?

Default formic pro/MAQS cause the shotgun pattern?

Does FormicPro/MAQS cause a poor (shotgun) laying pattern? Many say FormicPro/MAQS is hard on queens, but i don't know exactly what means. I just treated with FormicPro (1 strip every for 2X 10 day period) and now have a shotgun brood pattern. Will the queen recover or should she be replaced? Is this caused by the FromicPro or just a coincidence? Queen is 11 months old.

Alex Madsen

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: formic pro/MAQS cause the shotgun pattern?

Have used MAQS/formicpro in the past and sometimes the queen has stopped laying for a week or so, but I've never noticed a shotgun pattern after treatment. Hard on queens means that the treatment sometimes kills the queen. I lost one last year for the first time using formicpro. Also make sure you check your mites after the treatment. I was always pleased with MAQS, but the formicpro I used last year didn't seem to work nearly as well.

that is what I suspected. I think it is time for me to experiment with grafting and raising a new queen.

alex

It is far too warm to be using MAQS/Formic Pro in my opinion. I realize the label states that it can be used upto 85 degrees F. My experience is that I would not use it much above 75 degrees F. It is just far too strong and harsh on the entire hive, queens, brood, workers, and all. I get very good mite drops and a follow on brood explosion 3 weeks after thermal treatment with the Mighty Mite Killer on my hives. In cases where I am not able to get to some hives in time , I treat with Apivar as a stop gap measure until I can. I Keep 2 ProVap 110's to treat during Winter should the need arise.

I tried using MAQS last season in October and that will be the last time I use it. The MAQS treatment was very effective but it was VERY hard on the brood and hive in general even though I treated at 78 degrees F.

When ever possible, I prefer to employ chemical free treatments that ARE very effective and the Mighty Mite Killer indeed meets and exceeds my preference and expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    It is far too warm to be using MAQS/Formic Pro in my opinion. ...Whenever possible, I prefer to employ chemical free treatments that ARE very effective and the Mighty Mite Killer indeed meets and exceeds my preference and expectations.
    Not a lot of options for emergency treatment when suppers are on in the middle of a flow. Might count came back higher than anticipated and I had to take imidate action.

PS Temperatures were in the 70s for the first week of each MAQS treatment.

Alex

Temps should have been fine. I had a hat on 9 days ago and its been 50's at night.

Alex......Are you sure those empty cells are not just where there were mites and the bees removed the larvae and dead mites?
    Terrence

good point. i will look at the larva pattern when i go in this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Madsen View Post
    good point. i will look at the larva pattern when i go in this weekend.
    I'm guessing if you can find an open frame where there was not brood before you will see a solid pattern. The empty cells will probably be filled with nectar. Good luck.
    Terrence