Queenless hive

Thread: Queenless hive

Default Queenless hive

How long can I hive go queenless before introducing a new queen is pointless? I have a hive that I hadn't made it to due to time constraints for a while. I saw no larva or capped brood and saw quite a few drone. Not sure what happened to the queen but she isn't there and no queen cells present either. The earliest I can get a new queen in my area, is Thursday. Is that hive salvageable? That hive is all mediums and my others all have queens laying in Deeps so I am not able to pull a frame of brood from another hive and add to it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queenless hive

lt's all about the number of bees in the hive. Lots of worker bees? Salvageable. Not so many, it can be united with another or the bees dumped out and equipment used elsewhere.
    When a hive's status is in doubt, I like to give it a frame of larvae to see what they do with it. Then go from there.
    Lots of drones sounds like a drone laying queen or laying worker, which warrants further inspection.

Frank, you can add that deep frame of brood by removing two of the medium frames, one from each box, and let the deep hang down into the space you created. I like to give an LW hive open brood and then a week later, give them a queen cell or a virgin queen. Works sometimes. My last successful conversion is going gangbusters. The most recent attempt did not take and died. Win some, lose some.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

A test frame with brood would be a good idea to make sure there is not a virgin queen in there. You dont give a precise time frame to know it that is likely. If the hive is a single medium you could knock together a simple 3" lift to be able to hang a deep frame. If doubles, do as JWP recommends.
    Frank

The hive is actually 4 mediums with 2 filled with honey on top, the bottom 2 had been brood chamber. The bottom one is completely empty some pollen filled cells and some nectar but no eggs, larva or capped brood. The 2nd one up is same as the bottom only starting to be filled with honey. Have at least 15% drones so I am assuming the queen started laying nothing but drones. But I have been wrong before and the bees seem to take delight in making a fool out of me.