Best Bee Smoker

Thread: Best Bee Smoker

Default Best Bee Smoker

Any insight on what the best bee smoker is. Mine was destroyed, and I need to purchase a new one so I thought I should buy a good one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Best Bee Smoker

Tall one from Dadantís.

I was looking at the one at Dadant and there is a premium at Better Bee....

Big dadant
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

I love the Rauchboy but I don’t know where to find them right now. I do like the tall Dadant ones.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Another vote for the tall Dadant one.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

My 4X7 Dadant with no shield is almost as good as the old woodsman of the same size you cant get any more. All you need.

I have the large Mann Lake and it works just fine.

My mentor has a BetterBee, now that’s a smoker.

I’m a tool guy, and the quality is really nice. Insulated container, and the lid feels more robust than the Mann Lake.

They are all around the same money; if mine gets stolen or lost, the BetterBee is the one to get.

The Mann Lake I have now I’m sure will last years, so to buy another would be a waste right now.

BetterBee for sure
    Clark Westfied 1st year beekeeper
    Bass player

All I know is that the Kelley Smoke Cloud is as good or better than the Dadant. The designs are close enough for identical performance. I don't remember the fasteners. One has longer bolts. Kelley advantages (as of 2-7 years ago): more expensive, thicker metal in spots
    David Smolinski USDA hardiness zone 6b

Dadant tall, just got mine- incredibly easy to start and stays lit.

Many people would actually want this smoker (some progress, you know):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mns9GrQ1RSA&t=317s

Not that I want one.
    Low tech is still the best for me.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

If you want a battery operated one rather that the bellows, go onto www.wish.com/beekeeping they have a lot there.

003.jpgBut I modified my smoker to make it easier to light, and keep alight, and giving cool smoke! How, you may ask?
    I drilled a 10 mm hole just above the fire grate, fashioned and gate for the hole out of a steel beer can,(drink beer first) fixed with a self tapping screw. This is so you could close the hole to regulate the speed of the burn. Pack the smoker with your favourite fuel, Finishing with some wet green grass on top, and using a small blow torch, (or a large one if it is all you have) light fuel from the 10 mm hole. This will give you lots of cool smoke, and if it goes out, easy to light again. Priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by b2bnz View Post
    If you want a battery operated one rather that the bellows, go onto www.wish.com/beekeeping they have a lot there.

003.jpgBut I modified my smoker to make it easier to light, and keep alight, and giving cool smoke! How, you may ask?
    I drilled a 10 mm hole just above the fire grate, fashioned and gate for the hole out of a steel beer can,(drink beer first) fixed with a self tapping screw. This is so you could close the hole to regulate the speed of the burn. Pack the smoker with your favourite fuel, Finishing with some wet green grass on top, and using a small blow torch, (or a large one if it is all you have) light fuel from the 10 mm hole. This will give you lots of cool smoke, and if it goes out, easy to light again. Priceless!
    I have thought this would solve my smoker problems too. Congrats and hats off for actually doing it. I am more of a thinker than doer, but tomorrow I am drinking a beer and giving it a try. Thanks for the inspiration. J

I've used the same Dadant tall for the last 10 years. Most people I work with use a Dadant of some sort now.

Adam

One of the big com people here did a study a few years ago. And the big Danant won

Dadant.

Quote Originally Posted by b2bnz View Post

But I modified my smoker to make it easier to light, and keep alight, and giving cool smoke! How, you may ask?
    Did that, yup Priceless!
    Why didnít I think of that
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

This.

Years ago, when i bought a new smoker I would take the bellows off and throw them away, and put bellows on that were made by a local guy, those bellows would turbocharge any smoker and make it go twice as good.

But unfortunately due to el cheapo imports (that were mostly junk), and the reluctance of people to spend any money to get an excellent smoker, the old guy who made them stopped doing it.

The very last one of those bellows I possess recently breathed it's last, so what to do?

Well I decided to knock one up myself, here it is. Around twice the volume of your average bellows, one outlet hole, and 2 valved inlet holes.

Being able to puff up a storm very quickly, when needed, makes the whole beekeeping experience much more pleasant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tpV...ature=emb_logo
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker