Holy Laying Worker, Batman!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Holy Laying Worker, Batman!!

Update**
    We decided to go a different route in trying to "fix" this. We spoke with another couple beeks in our area, and ended up getting a mated queen and made up a nuc with brood from 3 other hives. We will be combining the laying worker hive (LWH) with the nuc this week. The beeks we spoke to were both master keepers, and thought the original plan was solid, and could work, but they felt that the current plan was less risky.

After we made the nuc, the queen was readily accepted by the other bees and when we get back in we'll find out if she's been laying. The LWH finally had some larvae and brood. All drone brood, no worker brood, so it confirmed 100% LWC.

I'll post again when I have more....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

3 hives strong enough to donate frames are 3 hives strong enough to take a single LW frame each without trouble. Probably will buzz a little for a bit though.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

buy some TEMP QUEEN STRIPS come back in a week, add some brood frames and or a queen, and you are done.

I wanted to finish out the thread with the results of my endeavor with the laying worker hive. First, thanks to all that contributed constructive advice, it was greatly appreciated.

So, what we ended up doing was getting a mated queen and made up a nuc with a frame of bees and brood from 3 of our hives. Introduced the queen and she was readily accepted. We gave her 5 days so she was laying and happy and we combined the LWH with the nuc via newspaper method. We checked after a week and all was right in the world. I was in the hive today, and it'sstill going strong.

It seems like a lot of work to keep a hive, but we only have 6 hives and didn't want to "waste" the bees. I think the most simple method is to just combine with another hive instead of trying to "fix" the hive. I'm sure I'll have another one to experiment with at some point.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12