We decided to go a different route in trying to "fix" this. We spoke with another couple beeks in our area, and ended up getting a mated queen and made up a nuc with brood from 3 other hives. We will be combining the laying worker hive (LWH) with the nuc this week. The beeks we spoke to were both master keepers, and thought the original plan was solid, and could work, but they felt that the current plan was less risky.
After we made the nuc, the queen was readily accepted by the other bees and when we get back in we'll find out if she's been laying. The LWH finally had some larvae and brood. All drone brood, no worker brood, so it confirmed 100% LWC.
I'll post again when I have more....