How Much honey? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: How Much honey?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Grant Co WV
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    >Yet you bothered to post. You could not respond to the simple original query. but could find the time to respond once it became a controversy. Good for you!

    Well, the original post on my end was, "!!". I saw the original unedited post because someone quoted it. I read through all the posts to make sure that what I may have had to add wasn't already covered. Then I came across this "This is Why I have been a member here for 4 1/2 years and never post. I find it more amusing to just read the STUPID COMMENTS you wipes make."

    I took offense to that. You come here and contribute nothing, then ask a question then insult the same very people that want to help.

    Also, who made this into a controversy? Did you expect no responses at all to your comment? As far as me calling you out on what i believe to be an unnecessary post, I take this forum pretty seriously, and a lot of valuable members with a lot to offer are getting fed up with this type of activity and leaving. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, but you ruffled mine first.
    Ya, you take this forum pretty seriously with your .4 post per day. I read over the rules and no where does it say that a member has to contribute a thing!!! I asked a simple question and requested parameters for the answer it is that simple. If you do not want to do what is asked them how about just keeping your non relative post to your self. Sorry you took offense to my not wanting to filter through a bunch of information that had NOTHING to do with My query. It does not matter who made this into a controversy. If asking for a question to be answered in a straight foreword manner is inappropriate then so be it. What I find disgusting is the enthusiasm in which you jumped in with nothing of real value except to be condescending and insulative. You see sir it is people like you that are a big part of the problem. I have read through your profile and see that many of your responses are rather combative. Other than repeat what you have read from the posts of others I do not see where you are a great contributor of profound information. Although I have never had honeybees I am willing to bet I could teach you a thing or two about them. Because I read and listen and study. Far more than I talk or spew useless garbage. Good day sir!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    lake hopatcong nj
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    RT.

    I think you are a bit confused. I took no issue with your original post. I actually think it was quite good. Like I said, I was going to contribute to it, however noticed it would be redundant as what I had to say was already touched upon in post #5

    It was post # 9 that I was responding to.. I think my post was very relative to that post. But would you not agree that your very own post(#9) was not relative to your very own original post? You kind of derailed your own thread no?

    As far as me not contributing, that is because I only have about 6 years experience. No, of course there is no rule saying you must contribute a certain amount I don't know where I implied that. It isn't the lack of posts that bothers me. It's the fact that you admit you only come here for amusement and then insult the people here when you finally do post.

    I do take the forum seriously. That's why I don't post much. I don't want to put bad info out there and diminish the integrity of the forum. I've posted about that recently, you probably saw it when you were researching all of my posts.

    I don't know man, I just feel that post #9 never needed to be. I'd also like to point out that I'm not the only one who gave you guff about it. In the mean time, a relevant conversation broke out and was/is quite productive. How bout we yield to it and let the good folks here have the thread back! Oh and I will give credit to you. Aside from OUR back and forth nonsense, your post generated some action and is a fine contribution to the forum IMO.

    Edit. Did you want to post this comment in the "set it and forget it' thread as well? How bout post #9? No? Why not just post over there about this thread. Then they can read everything I said and in the proper context.
    Last edited by trottet1; 06-19-2019 at 02:59 PM.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Scott county, Arkansas, Usa
    Posts
    1,379

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    Quote Originally Posted by RTBBEE View Post
    Thank You! I did not ask for humor. in fact I specifically asked for strait answers without drivel.
    I'm glad I replied with quote to your first post, so others are still able to read what you wrote. First you didn't ask, you demanded what some may consider proprietary information. Then you sought to frame the parameters as to how your demands were to be met.
    Secondly, we were informed as to how much you do know about honey and you are doing research and gathering data, yet you were not aware the USDA or each state ag dept. has the Average statistics you are seeking.

    You, said, "This is for research and I would really appreciate not having to filter through Advice, logistics or antidotal information". I understand how our phones present suggestions of words to choose and in our haste or fat fingers we sometimes choose the wrong word. I thought maybe you chose antidotal instead of anecdotal by innocent mistake, so I made a joke about it. But now that I have typed it, I see that antidotal is incorrect as it is underlined in red. I guess you are much to busy researching to care if your demands are clearly stated. I was going to apologize for not interpreting correctly your demands and for insulting your intelligence, but I can't. Rarely contributing or sharing your experiences, I could go on, but why bother?
    I think you are fortunate anyone responded at all.

    Alex

    P.S. I'm sorry your homework is late.
    Last edited by AHudd; 06-19-2019 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added, to your first post
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    lake hopatcong nj
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    I just noticed this now.

    Although I have never had honeybees I am willing to bet I could teach you a thing or two about them. Because I read and listen and study. Far more than I talk or spew
    don't think so.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aylett, Virginia
    Posts
    3,260

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    I am still ROTFLMAO over the homework jab. That is funny.

    And for the record, no amount of reading, studying, or watching Youtube videos is as good as actually keeping bees. But it IS a good start.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jackson county, alabama, usa
    Posts
    10,015

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Scott county, Arkansas, Usa
    Posts
    1,379

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post

    And for the record, no amount of reading, studying, or watching Youtube videos is as good as actually keeping bees. But it IS a good start.
    And I would like to add, if you have never had bees, Youtube can actually be detrimental.

    Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    erie, pa
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    I really wish I could quote you all to be sure you read this post. But C'est la vie. I can not say enough how proud I am of you guys!!!

    trottet1 I went to the kids profile page as did you, I know this because your mane show as a recent visitor. With that said I would assume you did so to see who you were dealing with. A fine adversarial move. One can find information there to launch a sound psychological attack in that. But maybe you should have taken the time to read that you are dealing with a child (Sorry RTBBEE On offense intended) he/she is 15 according to his/her profile. You took exception to #9 post. I am sure all the (adults) here appreciate you springing to their defense. For the record To presume that your Knowledge is so absolute that anyone is not capable of teaching you something about bees is, well for lack of a kinder term supreme arrogance.

    AHUD I really like how you turned a request for information into a demand. It lends nicely to format your intentional defiance into a justified response. Although I cannot imagine why the original poster desired the information and what motivation necessitated their setting parameters as to what information was offered. It is clear that initial response was intended to correct the individual for a typographical or miss used word. Your later response demonstrates your deeply seeded need to do so as you brought up the point again. You made assumptions as to how the original poster posted and the mechanic of their auto correct without first hand knowledge. Yet in 5 posts you have done everything but answer the individual's question. Weather or not you went to the OP's profile The fact that the original post stated the information requested was for a report tell anyone with a modicum of intelligence that the poster was most likely a student! Your later comment "P.S. I'm sorry your homework is late." confirms you suspected this. Unless,, Unless! that comment was yet another passive aggressive attempt to insult, demean, or infuriate the OP. You stated "It shouldn't be hard to remember not to post in your threads in the future." Yet you continue to do so. Make one question your motivation.

    Someone said a lot of members are getting fed up with this type of activity an leaving. And I agree. So if someone has a specific request and you feel compelled to post information beyond the bounds of the request then why not just pass the post by.

    I Happen to believe that the Really good beekeepers that are a wealth of information are leaving because of responses like the responses to this post and not the original post itself. I know of one who blatantly stated he left because people prefered to make the thread about grammar, punctuation, spelling, experience, ethnic origin, and who knows what else, rather than the matter at hand! Why insert unwanted information? Is the need to assert one's superiority so great that we cannot comply with a simple request?

    I understand the OP's frustration , I recently asked a question and got some great information on all sorts of things but few straight answers.
    and questioned why myself.

    The case in point is once the OP removed his original post this entire thread became about something else. Something that really has nothing to do with beekeeping in and of itself. It became about something non productive, something negative, something for the vultures to feed upon. Were I a Moderator I would have removed it completely right then and there and thus ended the negativity and contempt it began to harbor. But that is for others more Knowledgeable than I.

    In closing, I wonder why a once a post becomes controversial, angry, offensive or mean, it elicits more responses that one that can be answered in a short sentence or two. And why some people feel the need explain the responses of others? Can we not just respect the wishes of others? I mean just who is missing out if one does not respond?


    Enjoy the summer Folks. May you all have great success in the apiary!

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    lake hopatcong nj
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    I'llbeedan,

    Actually, I did not check the kid's profile until most of this already unfolded and even at that, I was just looking to see how many years of experience they had. I actually did not even notice the age. However, they did mention that they were doing research for a paper and that should have been a sign that it was a kid.

    I am also starting to think that the OP has very little interest in beekeeping and is actually a troll. I was feeling foolish this morning when I was reading over everything and realized that I had been trolled. I took the bait and fell for it. I actually think the op achieved exactly what they set out to do. But since you decided to attack me, and yes, I consider it an attack, here is my defense to you.

    15 is not a child. Nor should a 15 year old be treated as such or coddled. Just because they are 15 does not give them the right to say whatever the heck they want without any blowback at all. Post #9 was completely uncalled for and really put all of this into motion. You say that I attacked the op? why? because I called them out on that? The op then decided to take and manipulate everything I said into something that was tricky to defend. So of course I have to re-engage and defend that. I am human.

    You say I attacked the op? how so? by stating that I felt their comment was uncalled for? The op then goes on to copy a quote from me from this thread and paste it to another with no reference or anything leading up to it and also puts words in my mouth there as well. That sounds like the op is attacking me.

    As far as you calling me arrogant. For you to presume that of me is, well for lack of a kinder term, supreme ignorance. I mean, yes, I can be an arrogant p---k, but as far as beekeeping, just the opposite. I actually lack confidence in my skills and am taking such a slow and steady learning approach. I don't post and answer many questions due to my lack of confidence. I have mentioned this so many times. I assume you were talking about my "I don't think so" response to the op claiming that they could teach me a thing or 2 about bees even though they have never kept bees. Come on man!

    So what's with your attack on me? Just feel like playing white knight today?

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Scott county, Arkansas, Usa
    Posts
    1,379

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    Well, Dan, I guess I can blame my upbringing. When I was a kid, we were not allowed to make demands of adults or talk back. We also joked around a lot and teased one another. Shame on the ones who got bent out of shape, for they then became the one who was piled upon unmercifully. Then it was someone else's turn.
    I quoted his comment after he got bent out of shape because I thought he would edit his post, which he did, so he could claim he was being attacked for no reason. It wasn't an attack, really it was a play on words. SQuark. I think is the name, had a word for it, Word Corn or something like that.
    I try to have a little fun wherever I go, but it seems some here can't take a joke. In case you are wondering I can take it as well. This is the way me and my friends act. If the OP doesn't grow a little thicker skin and learn to roll with the punches, I hope he never enters the construction industry.
    I'LLBEEDAN, I suspect you are a school teacher. If I am correct, maybe you should ask to become a moderator, then you could run this thing the way you see fit.
    Welcome to class everyone, now stop horsing around and let's get serious. How boring.

    Alex
    Last edited by AHudd; 06-20-2019 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Changed no one to some
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

  12. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    erie, pa
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    trottel!

    First, 15 is still a child In fact d lot of intellectual maturity and adult development continues until age 25.

    Secondly. I never said you attacked the OP. so you can stop fixating on that.

    Third, look up the definition of arrogance. Your statement In post #24 demonstrates that you feel such a sense of superiority that this young fellow could not possibly teach you anything. You even took the time to emphasize it's laughability with a emoji! By definition That is arrogance.


    fourth. There was no need for you to say anything at all. the hid was upset because for whatever reason he wanted specific information He made it very clear as to what information he wanted. and made it equally clear that he did not want to deal with unnecessary information.

    I was not attacking you, Just pointing out facts! Because I find your behavior a well as others deplorable. My incursion into the matter was from a peacemaker standpoint In hope of making some of the adults hear see how their behavior appeared to the onlookers. Has nothing to do with being a white knight. But I suppose one could have used the same bit of passive aggression in response to your initial post! PS. I felt most of your comments were uncalled for.

  13. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    erie, pa
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    Ahudd. Just because you think you are being funny does not mean the entire world does. When dealing with the written word which lacks the personal expression we must be careful. That is why when in doubt I ask the meaning of post I feel may have some malicious content. I never saw where he claimed he was being attacked for no reason. In fact he stated the reason for his disgust quite plainly. I am not saying he did not overreact. However why fuel the fire?


    By the way I am not a teacher. You are free to act as childish as you please. See I can be passive aggressive too!

  14. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    lake hopatcong nj
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    Dan, (!) I guess we are yelling at each other now?

    First, 15 is still a child In fact d lot of intellectual maturity and adult development continues until age 25.
    So we have to wait until people are 25 until we voice our opinion about the tone of one of their posts now.

    Secondly. I never said you attacked the OP. so you can stop fixating on that.
    who said this?
    One can find information there to launch a sound psychological attack in that.
    Third, look up the definition of arrogance. Your statement In post #24 demonstrates that you feel such a sense of superiority that this young fellow could not possibly teach you anything. You even took the time to emphasize it's laughability with a emoji! By definition That is arrogance.
    Wrong. You yourself would admit that someone who has never kept bees before would really have very little to offer someone who has. Academic knowledge vs. practical knowledge. If you can't admit that, don't bother asking me if I dare call you a liar. My response and answer to that is a big yes.

    fourth. There was no need for you to say anything at all. the hid was upset because for whatever reason he wanted specific information He made it very clear as to what information he wanted. and made it equally clear that he did not want to deal with unnecessary information.
    but there was a need for you to start up with me.

    I was not attacking you, Just pointing out facts! Because I find your behavior a well as others deplorable. My incursion into the matter was from a peacemaker standpoint In hope of making some of the adults hear see how their behavior appeared to the onlookers. Has nothing to do with being a white knight. But I suppose one could have used the same bit of passive aggression in response to your initial post! PS. I felt most of your comments were uncalled for.
    Yes, you are attacking me. you can't say that most of my comments were uncalled for as all but one of my comments were simply responses defending manipulated versions of what I said. by the way you are doing a fine job keeping the peace. The only thing you are keeping is me from watching M*A*S*H.

    By the way. did you care to voice your opinion about how you feel about someone posting a quote from me here to another thread? That to me is an attack. following someone around to another thread with the sole purpose of making that person look bad by quoting 1 quote out of context that was in response to another.


    I still think the kid is a troll. I don't know, my gut is telling me this was his intention the whole time and if it was, he succeeded. kudos to you kid!

  15. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aylett, Virginia
    Posts
    3,260

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    Dan, I think you are being had. Think about it, if the profile says 15, and he/she has been a member for 4-1/2 years, what is the likelyhood the profile has not been updated and the child you are defending is actually a 19- 20 year old "adult"? I also noticed that no mention of thanks was ever given for the USDA link that seemingly answered most, if not all, of the original request. I found this persons response to a little levity to be highly inappropriate, no matter what their age. I know my 13 year old niece who is a beginning beekeeper would never respond to anyone in such a manner.

    Regarding maturity, we allow 18 year olds to vote.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

  16. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    erie, pa
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Dan, I think you are being had. Think about it, if the profile says 15, and he/she has been a member for 4-1/2 years, what is the likelyhood the profile has not been updated and the child you are defending is actually a 19- 20 year old "adult"? I also noticed that no mention of thanks was ever given for the USDA link that seemingly answered most, if not all, of the original request. I found this persons response to a little levity to be highly inappropriate, no matter what their age. I know my 13 year old niece who is a beginning beekeeper would never respond to anyone in such a manner.

    Regarding maturity, we allow 18 year olds to vote.
    When you input your profile you input your Birthdate. Then you choose your settings hide birthdate, show age only, show birthdate etc. if you choose show age only it automatically updates your age as each birthday passes. Unlike years in beekeeping which the user must update manually. So it RTBBEE input his birthday when he signed and checked show age only 15 is his current age. Yes and we allow 16 year olds to drive deadly automobiles. Does not mean they are done development! My 11 year old grandson can graft. He does an amazing Job of selecting newly hatched larva. We live in a different world today and one should never consider anything in generalities! IMHO

  17. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Grant Co WV
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    I just noticed this now.



    don't think so.
    Really? I have seen and can identify AFB EFB and chalk brood, can you? I have made well over 100 packages of bees, Have you. I have marked Hundreds of queens with the appropriate year color, have you? I have attended seminars by some of the nations most notable beekeepers, have you? I spent 90 days over a 3 year period in drive alongs with state bee inspectors. and have aided in the inspections of literally thousands of hives. I spent two summers working with a commercial beekeeper. I have reared queens Both by grafting and forcing queens to lay in cups. I have read the hive and the honey bee from cover to cover as well as the ABC and XYZ of beekeeping. and countless others. I have treated for mites with Mite away, MASQ, OA dribble and OAV. I have done sugar rolls alcohol rolls and more mite counts that most people who have owned bees for 5 years. I have captured swarms, done trap outs, and removed hives from buildings. My great uncle has been a beekeeper for longer that I have been alive and probably longer that you have. I have had his interest and love of honeybees since I first visited his aperies at age 3. So if you think that just because I have never owned bees I cannot have knowledge and experience with them you are sadly mistaken. Furthermore I am willing to bet that I could pass the eastern agricultural societies master beekeeper test long before you could. Troll My but! Had you kept your opinions to yourself from the get go and minded your own business we would not be where we are right now. You are the troll here. Not me!

  18. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    lake hopatcong nj
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    Ya know what RTBBEE I am adult enough to know when I have made a mistake and I take back post #24. I suspect you said that you never owned bees knowing that I would wrongfully assume you have no practical experience. Well played and a clever little manipulation. You seem pretty good at manipulation. But set aside all your little sneakiness, I was still wrong for assuming. If you are translating that as a little bit of a back handed apology and a touch passive aggressive (which I am sure your savior will point out), well, that's because you are correct.

    What I will not apologize for is my response to your rude and uncalled for post. After all, that is what this is all about. That little "I never owned bees" thing was just a distraction.

    Just out of curiosity. If you have all that experience and all those people that have mentored you, why did you come to a forum that you clearly hate for an answer to your question? I would think that your network of real life people would have been able to give you plenty of info for your research. Heck I would think that someone who was so involved in that list of accomplishments, would have been able to answer their own question no? I mean all of that and you never sat in on a few honey harvests?


    Had you kept your opinions to yourself from the get go and minded your own business we would not be where we are right now.
    Where are we right now? nothing has changed. I responded to YOUR post that had nothing to do with your original question. I voiced my opinion on the tone and content of that post and that brings us to right here. This cyclical back and forth nonsense. I really do wish it would end and if at some point I choose not to respond, and that point is approaching fast, please understand that it is not an admission of guilt or submission of any kind. It's just that I really can't be bothered anymore. I have already spent way too much time on all of this with now 2 people. It's just really not what I am here for. I know you think otherwise, but I can't change that. I mean one of us has to let it go right? I'll be that someone. Good luck when you do get bees. I'm sure you will do just fine with them. Oh and that wasn't back handed or passive aggressive. I actually mean that.

    Todd

  19. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    erie, pa
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    trottet1, You sir are really a piece of work! ! = exclamation not yelling, THIS IS YELLING.

    No we do not have to wait until we are 25. Someone like you would never understand about taking youth into account.

    Again I never said you attacked the OP. "One can find information there to launch a sound psychological attack in that." is a statement I Never said you did so, that was another one of your assumptions.

    As for "Third, look up the definition of arrogance. Your statement In post #24 demonstrates that you feel such a sense of superiority that this young fellow could not possibly teach you anything. You even took the time to emphasize it's laughability with a emoji! By definition That is arrogance." >Arrogance definition is - an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions. Exactly the intent of the in question response. Those are facts Not insults.

    As for your calling me ignorant. Ignorant definition is - destitute of knowledge or education; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension.
    Sir I have a doctorate. If you believe I am uneducated or lack in Knowledge then I guess we all know where the ignorance lies!

    As for your assertion "Wrong. You yourself would admit that someone who has never kept bees before would really have very little to offer someone who has. Academic knowledge vs. practical knowledge. If you can't admit that, don't bother asking me if I dare call you a liar. My response and answer to that is a big yes." I guess we know how that turned out don't we.

    As for me starting with you. Or how did you put it later to RTBBEE His savior. Had you not been an aggressor initially you would have no need to defend yourself. RTBBEE's statement was directed at AHUD specifically. Who I have followed since he came on board. I know full well he is more than capable of either defending himself or bowing out gracefully. I have seen both sides on a few occasions. I on the other hand I was defending a child who I saw as being accosted by an adult? Were that adult able to look at things objectively he would have realized that I was only trying to defuse the situation. By pointing out the error of his ways, However when one refuses to believe themselves capable of err well What can one expect!
    Just look at your last post You felt so ashamed that you had made a rash judgement you apologized. However your belief in your own infallibility made you go on to blame the individual you were supposedly apologizing to. You demean. insult an belittle him because you hastily jumped to a erroneous conclusion. Then you went on to ridicule, belittle and condemn his methodology let alone try to cast double on his earlier statements.

    Maybe you should take your own advise and choose to not respond. We wont think a 15 year old kicked your but. Really


    With that said I would like to offer you my professional advise. However, I really think it would be best if I made these recommendations in private would you mind if I Private Messaged you?

  20. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    lake hopatcong nj
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    You use so may words and say so little. Amazing! Pm away if you'd like. In fact i will even give you the option of a phone call. Just say the word in your pm and that can be arranged. Oh and I don't yell.

  21. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aylett, Virginia
    Posts
    3,260

    Default Re: How Much honey?

    RTB, it sure does not take much stirring to get some pots boiling. But for the sake of all involved, could you please provide a brief bio, including your true age and number of years of beekeeping experience? That of course would include other people's bees. Your reponse in another thread about swarming I found thoughtful and quite accurate, and most importantly, of a completely different tone. It is very likely you have a lot to offer the forum if we can get past this particular thread.

    In the meantime...
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •