dearth - take 'em down? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: dearth - take 'em down?

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    For twenty bucks you can buy a new copy of the book. You might even learn something.
    If you plan to use other 'sources' for public claims, you ought to make sure that those sources are trustworthy.
    Look, I don't mind being corrected as well as I stated multiple times now about how "your mileage may vary".

The book indeed says:

Each summer in 1976 and 1977, I set up more than two hundred green nest boxes in groups of two or three across Tompkins County and each summer over half of my nest-box groups attracted at least one wild swarm

To build the many nest boxes needed for this study, I spent most of my Christmas break in 1975 sawing and hammering and painting in the wood shop at Dyce Lab. There I constructed 252 nest boxes and used up enough plywood(more than 70 sheets) for building a small house. With these hundreds of nest boxes, I would eventually capture 124 swarms in 1976 and 1977.
    On the other hand, the book is free anyway and, OK, I will study it and see what else is new in it.
    Something is not adding up around the dates but I will check that later.

No need to point out my "cheap" ways either.
    Yes, I am a "cheapo" and am fine with it.

Download the original book here (FREE):
    https://hadinur1969.files.wordpress....ceton_univ.pdf
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

OK, since I was prompted to self-educate myself a bit more (always a good thing), I found this gem, while ignoring my primary responsibilities for a short bit:

Given a choice between nesting in boxes which had been previously occupied by bees, containing comb, and boxes never occupied, honey bees (Apis mellifera) show a significant (p=0.032) preference for the previously occupied cavities. This behavior may be adaptive in terms of energetic savings to a new colony, or cavities with comb may simply be more conspicous.
    Authors:
    P. K. Visscher R. A. Morse T. D. Seeley

Source:
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02224236
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

This is an amazing book, both for the insightful conclusions of the research and the book is well-written, too.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post

Seeley's Honey Bee Democracy is an amazing piece of work….in my opinion. It is a compilation of the work of three generations of beekeeping researchers. Von Frish who decoded the foraging waggle dance, Lindauer who discovered that a swarm of bees also used the same dance for finding a new nesting site, and Seeley who built on their work.
    Seeley’s Appledore Island studies determined how dependably a swarm of bees choose the best nesting site of all those available. The bees are extremely successful.
    It is disappointing for me to see people comment on Seeley’s work that have obviously not read any of it. They often confuse, distort and misrepresent the work conducted over a professional lifetime of a brilliant researcher. It is embarrassing.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Mulch - the more the merrier.
    Cardboard pinned down with wood chips/garden scraps works great (both moisture retention and weed control).
    I don't ever water my potatoes - kinda how I do things in general - low resource inputs - set it and forget it.
    I will post a pic of how I planted my potatoes this year.
    Here:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...93#post1735293

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12