Crystallized Honey

Default Crystallized Honey

I've seen different methods of "fixing" crystallized honey. I see some people say to put it in hot water (but, not boiling) for a while. I've heard others say leave it on a sunny window sill. I was talking to a friend that does organic farming and is involved heavily with "living foods. He uses a dehydrator for alot of the things he sells at market and also uses it for honey when it crystallizes. He mentioned not to go above 105 degrees or it can damage the enzymes in the honey. I ended up getting one that has a control dial for the temp and was able to put 14 pound jars in at 100 degrees for 3-4 hours. I checked the temp with a digital thermometer a few times and found the dial was pretty accurate. It worked like a charm. No mess, no wet jars, easy peasy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Crystallized Honey

I have not had to deal with crystalization yet. Tulip poplar honey from two years ago is still liquid, but I do need to dehydrate honey sometimes. I have a small refrigerator turned incubator with a digitally controlled heater and fan. Turn up the heat to 100° and set the jars in open top with a cloth cover. I imagine it would decrystalize the honey too.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

One suggestion is not to put labels on or go beyond snug with your lids until just before point of sale. That way if you do need to any manipulations with the jars you can do so without risk of messing up your labels or lids.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Eikel View Post
    One suggestion is not to put labels on or go beyond snug with your lids until just before point of sale. That way if you do need to any manipulations with the jars you can do so without risk of messing up your labels or lids.
    Very good point to remember!

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I have not had to deal with crystalization yet. Tulip poplar honey from two years ago is still liquid, but I do need to dehydrate honey sometimes. I have a small refrigerator turned incubator with a digitally controlled heater and fan. Turn up the heat to 100° and set the jars in open top with a cloth cover. I imagine it would decrystalize the honey too.
    Nice setup!

I have two set ups. One is a simple continue heating pad in styrofoam box. I u with jars. 5 gallon buckets a cabinet with light bulb and a thermostat controller. I can and have done them in my clarifier with water filling it. When done for the season.