Set It and Forget It? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 87
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dane County, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,423

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeeDuto View Post
    What’s the worst that can happen?
    This is actually my ultimate goal - set it and forget it.
    Hence I originally started pursuing Layen's style beehives and the beekeeping ways.

    Like this - set it and forget it:
    20170925_080223_Small.jpg

    Yes - people will tell many things for and against.
    I will argue "set it and forget it" has its legit place in the ecosystem.
    All way around hardy bee is highly desirable for this to work (which kind of what sucked me into this project).
    The hardy bee is pretty much a requirement.
    Otherwise, I have video documentation of exactly this method of beekeeping - set it and forget it.
    Last edited by GregV; 06-15-2019 at 07:53 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Algoma District Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,613

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    I think post #s 19 and 20 are pointing to a very possible scenario. I was to an information meeting about the new protocols for legally obtaining and using antibiotics. It was mentioned that due to an AFB outbreak in the area years ago it had become established practice to do a ritual spring and fall treatment with OxyTet. There was a show of hands about how many were using it and I believe it was a majority. Little wonder that no one else there knew anything about EFB

    American Foulbrood is a statutory reportable disease in Ontario. EFB is not. I think there is danger of seeing a big increase in EFB showing up.

    Something about set it and forget it concept makes me think it encourages irresponsible beekeeper. I feel that elements of the flo hive notion follow the same path.
    Frank

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jackson county, alabama, usa
    Posts
    10,071

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    American Foulbrood is a statutory reportable disease in Ontario. EFB is not.
    same here frank with statutory teeth for the apiary protection unit to do something about afb but not efb.

    if efb has morphed into types that are hypervirulent, hypercontagious, and can keep equipment infected for extended periods of time it may be time, (ulitimately resulting in equipment destruction) then it may be time for the authorities to adopt a similar approach as they have with afb.

    i have been communicating with folks at the top of ladder at both the state and federal level here, as well as with some academics and other well know 'authorities' on the subject.

    the uptick in efb outbreaks and the increase in virulence has their attention alright, but nothing actionable on the horizon here as far as i can tell.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Garden City S, NY
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeDuto View Post
    It’s a vacation house. No one will be there. I would most likely overwinter in a single deep the way I did at home.
    so what county is it in, might make a difference.
    Delaware County

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Garden City S, NY
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    The hive will make a nice snack for a bear. Are you going to set up a fence?
    Bears are not prevalent in that area. Been going up there my whole life and have never seen one.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Garden City S, NY
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    >I also may disagree with regard to the spreading of mites since I wouldn’t be treating till mid summer anyway. Moot point no?

    No not moot. In fact, this logic supports squarepeg's argument. You will be treating in late August. But if your hive swarms before then, you will be sending mite bombs up to the trees where they will be safe from your August treatments. I'm glad you are not my neighbor or anywhere near me.

    If they ever pass what you feel are unneccessary bee laws in your state, make sure you at least consider the fact that you may have contributed to them.

    Please reconsider your plan for this location. It's the responsible thing to do.
    Forgive me for my naÔveness but I just assumed I wouldn’t be effecting anyone else given how rural it is there. I my no means want to send mite bombs into the wild.

    Couldn’t i treat them before I bring them there? Or treat them once there?

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,191

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    just because you don't see hives, don't think you are all by your self. do some research for instance ya think maybe because they have a bee club, that maybe they have bees.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...2987823305670/

    now I've hunted all my life and never seen a bear, a few seconds on the computer shows.
    http://www.watershedpost.com/2016/ho...k-bear-country

    Greene and Delaware counties, especially the area in and around the town of Middletown in Delaware County, are known for a higher density of black bears, according to Choquette.
    any other research you need done?
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    lake hopatcong nj
    Posts
    864

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    >Couldn’t i treat them before I bring them there? Or treat them once there?

    You treat before you bring them. Then what? What are your swarm management plans? Once you treat, mites start building up again. Then you don't prevemt swarms, they swarm and so do your mites. You can come up with as many "what ifs" as you want. I think your plan is irresponsible. Besides, what would be the point? You won't get much honey from those steller flows that you predict. You need hives well populated to capitalize on a flow. Yours will be building back up from losing more than half it's population.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,277

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    " I was thinking a single deep with a QE, then deep super and med super above that. "

    I'm thinking they will get slimed to death before anything else gets them.

    Anybody want to start a pool?
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO United States
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    just because you don't see hives, don't think you are all by your self.
    Kind of like mites & bears What about your swarms going on vacation & inhabiting the home? It would be to far for most to manage & it doesnít read like you really want to either.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

  12. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,191

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    "

    Anybody want to start a pool?
    that was one of my first thoughts, but I'm butting out, he's not looking to move into one of my counties so I'm good.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  13. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Richmond, va
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    I don't get this attack on BeeDuto.

    How is this any different then if a swarm from anywhere came on the property and set up shop? Would they be mite free? Would there be someone to come and treat them for all the varied things that can go wrong?

    he would be putting a healthy, treated colony of bees on his brothers place. He wouldn't be out there with his nose in the hive every 3 days, but he didn't give the impression that he was abandoning them, either.

    He might just get his brother intrigued enough to take up beekeeping and continue the work on it.

  14. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    2,277

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    There is no attack. He or she asked for feedback.
    Man or Woman enough to ask and accept the the advice. Does not mean they have to take it. Asking means there was some basic question in their mind to begin with.

    My compliments for asking and no apology for answering. The only insult I could have delivered is to have ignored the question and/or coddled.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

  15. #34
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Vauxhall, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    Well, if it sounds easy - it is probably not true. If BD can do it, so can anyone.

    But = would you take your cattle and let them roam free? Maybe 150 years ago in the west you could, but the natives would have taken them, or the predators or, or.

    Save your time and raise them at home, it is easier to maintain your property close to home than 3.5 hrs away. How greedy can one get?

    Good idea, but let it go and do yourself a favor.
    Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum

  16. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO United States
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    Quote Originally Posted by dddillon View Post
    I don't get this attack on BeeDuto. How is this any different then if a swarm from anywhere came on the property and set up shop? Would they be mite free? Would there be someone to come and treat them for all the varied things that can go wrong? He wouldn't be out there with his nose in the hive every 3 days, He might just get his brother intrigued enough to take up beekeeping and continue the work on it.
    No attack here, but one difference is the probability of unmanaged bees swarming, contaminating, dying, mite bombing, etc. (okay that was more than one), are high. A lot happens when you are gone in one visit every two months or more. When I think about that, there is no way I could stay away from an Outyard ten minutes away from me for that long. I would definitely get your brother involved & any other family members involved who visit the property if you go through with this. In addition, have more equipment, veils & gloves of all sizes, etc., on the property than you think you will need
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

  17. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Niceville, FL, USA
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    @BeeDuto Why not reach out to beeks in that area, and offer to supply a hive & colony in exchange for care? Share the harvest? Make some friends to visit when you go up to the vacation house? Go on vacation more often, because you have a reason to go, and friends there, and a place to stay, and it's beautiful?

    Why not bring your best Queen's daughter, so she can influence the drone cloud in that region? Who knows, with your hive sponsorship and mentoring, you could help get more people to shut off TV and get into nature. As the saying goes, More happiness in giving. A lot of positive results could happen if you connect with people.

  18. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,191

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    Quote Originally Posted by dddillon View Post

    he would be putting a healthy, treated colony of bees on his brothers place. He wouldn't be out there with his nose in the hive every 3 days, but he didn't give the impression that he was abandoning them, either.
    your making assumptions, go look at his profile, he has no bees yet, no experience yet, new beeks can't keep them alive in there back yard.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  19. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,287

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGardener View Post
    @BeeDuto Why not reach out to beeks in that area, and offer to supply a hive & colony in exchange for care? Share the harvest? Make some friends to visit when you go up to the vacation house? Go on vacation more often, because you have a reason to go, and friends there, and a place to stay, and it's beautiful?

    Why not bring your best Queen's daughter, so she can influence the drone cloud in that region? Who knows, with your hive sponsorship and mentoring, you could help get more people to shut off TV and get into nature. As the saying goes, More happiness in giving. A lot of positive results could happen if you connect with people.
    What a pleasure to read a post containing positive suggestions, rather than this on-going group effort to give this guy's idea a good kicking.
    LJ
    Last edited by squarepeg; 06-18-2019 at 06:40 AM. Reason: removed the d word
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

  20. #39
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Spring Hill, Florida,USA
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    What a pleasure to read a post containing positive suggestions, rather than this on-going group effort to give this guy's idea a good kicking.
    LJ
    I agree.
    It is also why alot of people will not post in a forum, including myself.

    I for one disagree that a set and forget approach is a mite bomb. In fact I find it to be quite the opposite. I have 6 hives (Double Lang deep and 1 medium no excluder) placed in the back of a 70 acre woods. They have been there for 6 years. I have never had better brood producing hives then them. They have NEVER been treated for anything. They have NEVER been fed. I have NEVER taken surplus honey from them. I do take 5 frames of solid brood from each in March and use the frames to make nucs by adding a queen cell (Grafted from these hives). For the rest of the year they are left alone. Never even opened. I also maintain at least 300 nucs within 75 feet of these hives. My 5 cell builders and 30 double deep hives are approximately 800 feet away.

    I have never lost a hive or nuc to mites.
    There are 5 wild bee trees around my yard that I know of. They were there long before I started beekeeping. In fact they are the reason I got into beekeeping. Maybe, just maybe if left alone the bees can beat the mites themselves.



    And for someone to say they lost their hives to efb do to someone else is just appalling.
    Last edited by sunkool; 06-18-2019 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

  21. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Jospehine County, Oregon
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Set It and Forget It?

    Treatment Free is mite bombing the region around their dirty apiaries big time.tf is a type set it and forget it, no matter what you claim in your defense of being tf, your varorra mites carry efb and can infect other hives, as with other diseases and viruses. Yes, your tf bees are adapted, but they are also dirty mite bombs! Disgusting! Bad Beehvaers!
    Do what thou wilt.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •