Caught swarm

Thread: Caught swarm

Default Caught swarm

Quick swarm question. I just got home from catching a swarm, in the rain. The rain is supposed to continue tonight, intermittently. Should I have the swarm during a break in the rain, or hope for better weather tomorrow?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Caught swarm

I'd hive them asap and feed them 1:1 sugar water.

If I "catch" a swarm
    1) I move them at night
    2) I set the swarm box where I want the new hive to sit and open up the entrance
    3) The following day they do their orientation flights
    4) A day or two after I transfer them into permanent equipment

I handle swarm "calls" differently.

Depends on if they are in a catch box with frames or a 5 gal pail.

Thanks for the replies. This was a swarm that was found in a tree. I drove about 45 miles to get it, and put it in a cardboard box, and waited for the rest of the swarm to settle into the box, then drove them home.

I went ahead and hived them, and set them up with a feeder and 1:1 syrup. They are coming and going now, so hopefully all good.

For future reference, would the recommendation be to hive immediately, regardless of weather?

Good going, bobs. I like to hive them asap because swarms like to start drawing comb as soon as they settle. I hate for them to waste their efforts on the inside of a box or bucket that they'll be removed from when hived. Keep sugar water in their feeder and they'll draw comb amazingly fast. Good luck with your swarm.

Great job Bob!!! Feed them plenty of sugar water. I like to hive mine asap. Rain just slows ya down a little, but don't let that stop you. Asap is best for me, and I think the bees too. Also, once you hive them, they won't fly during rain much. So they should settle in pretty fast. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    Great job Bob!!! Feed them plenty of sugar water.......
    Bob is in WI.
    Here in WI have plenty of forage as we speak for the rest of the summer (mb a couple week dearth in August IF too hot and dry).
    No need to feed and worry about feeding UNLESS you have 3-4 non-stop rain days in front of you AND the swarm has no stores yet (then maybe).
    OR you have nothing around you but corn fields - then you have more serious sustainability issues.

Well, they will take your sugar water but this would be the least of my worries, seriously.
    Feeding swarms in WI in June/July is basically waste of your time.
    Find something better to do (urgent building few temp hives/nuc boxes would be one such thing).

Re-hiving - re-hive as soon as practical if you have them in the cardboard box.
    Else they will just start building combs directly in the cardboard box.
    In similar instances I shake free-hanging swarms directly into nuc hives (always have spare nuc boxes exactly for this need - swarm collection).
    Last edited by GregV; 06-14-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.