Mating NUC pheromone strip
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,295

    Default Mating NUC pheromone strip

    I'm a little confused. I built and am stocking mating nucs for cells i have in the cooker. I ordered "temp queen" from mannlake. Each envelope contains two vials. I assume one is enough for each 2 frame nuc. Should i open the vial? put a pinhole in it? pour it in the nuc? I havent' found any specifics like this.
    Terrence

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    53,922

    Default Re: Mating NUC pheromone strip

    I think you have the wrong product. The vials are NOT "temp queen". "Temp Queen" or "PseudoQueen" comes in the form of short tubes of plastic. There are no vials. I cut the pieces of pseudoqueen into quarters and use a quarter of one per mating nuc or per bait hive.

    https://www.mannlakeltd.com/pseudo-queen-50-pack
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,295

    Default Re: Mating NUC pheromone strip

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I think you have the wrong product. The vials are NOT "temp queen". "Temp Queen" or "PseudoQueen" comes in the form of short tubes of plastic. There are no vials. I cut the pieces of pseudoqueen into quarters and use a quarter of one per mating nuc or per bait hive.

    https://www.mannlakeltd.com/pseudo-queen-50-pack
    ****......looks like i ordered and got swarm lure. Is this stuff usable for mating nuc or different phermone?
    Terrence

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    53,922

    Default Re: Mating NUC pheromone strip

    >looks like i ordered and got swarm lure. Is this stuff usable for mating nuc or different phermone?

    The swarm lure will not work for mating nucs. You need the queen pheromones. Swarm lure is Nasonov. Queen pheromones are QMP.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,295

    Default Re: Mating NUC pheromone strip

    Finally got the right product. Follow up question. When setting up a mating nuc I add the quarter strip and bees. I add the cell. Do i have to take the strip out when it hatches?
    Terrence

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    53,922

    Default

    You can leave it in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Covington County, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: Mating NUC pheromone strip

    Michael:

    How long do you think the 1/4 strip of temp queen is effective in a mating nuc?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    53,922

    Default

    I would use it for one season. Next year I would start with fresh pheromones.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,295

    Default Re: Mating NUC pheromone strip

    These strips i understand in a nuc to retain the bees while the cell is hatching. But why wouldn't the bees in said nuc tear down the cell if they think they are already queenright? Also along the same lines when i take out the mated queen does the strip stop the bees from building their own queen cells on the larvae just laid?
    Terrence

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Covington County, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: Mating NUC pheromone strip

    Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    These strips i understand in a nuc to retain the bees while the cell is hatching. But why wouldn't the bees in said nuc tear down the cell if they think they are already queenright? Also along the same lines when i take out the mated queen does the strip stop the bees from building their own queen cells on the larvae just laid?
    Terrence: I want to take a stab at this, but I hope Michael will correct me where I get it wrong. The worker bees don't tear down queen cells, other queens do. Since there is only the QMP in the hive and no queen, the queen cells go unmolested. To the second question, yes, the presence of the QMP does inhibit the worker's instinct to create queen cells.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA USA
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: Mating NUC pheromone strip

    I had a small hive with no queen. They built queen cells and stayed in the box. So, what is the QMP for? Thanks.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Covington County, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: Mating NUC pheromone strip

    Quote Originally Posted by Andhors View Post
    I had a small hive with no queen. They built queen cells and stayed in the box. So, what is the QMP for? Thanks.
    Kaizen is raising queens in mating nucs. So he is transferring capped queen cells from his incubator into these nucs. These mating nucs DO NOT actually make queen cells. In fact, you want them to not make queen cells and also to not develop laying workers between periods of time when it is not raising and breeding a queen.

    Inserting the artificial QMP suppresses the workers from making queens in the mating nuc (perhaps with laid eggs of the last queen mated) and from producing laying workers.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,295

    Default Re: Mating NUC pheromone strip

    Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    Terrence: I want to take a stab at this, but I hope Michael will correct me where I get it wrong. The worker bees don't tear down queen cells, other queens do. Since there is only the QMP in the hive and no queen, the queen cells go unmolested. To the second question, yes, the presence of the QMP does inhibit the worker's instinct to create queen cells.
    from my experience the queen kills the cell and the workers tear it down. i figured they could also do the same whenever they wanted. good to know. Thanks for the feedback.
    Terrence

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Covington County, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: Mating NUC pheromone strip

    Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    from my experience the queen kills the cell and the workers tear it down. i figured they could also do the same whenever they wanted. good to know. Thanks for the feedback.
    Right. You said it much better. Queen stings the unemerged queens. Workers tear down the cells. I have always assumed the workers actions were just cleaning up and possibly harvesting the royal jelly. I did not believe that workers would do that to a viable queen cell. But I would like to hear about it if they would, or if someone knows this to not be the case.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •