No Beetles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Beetles

Default No Beetles

I lost my bees in 2016 and just started by catching swarms last year. I split the swarms this spring and now have five well producing hives. I have gone through the hives every two weeks and I have NO HIVE BEETLES in any of the hives. This is phenomenal to me as I have fought the little buggers for 15 years. Beetles are the subject of many discussions with fellow beekeepers in the area. The only thing I'm doing different than in past years, I have NO traps in the hives, NO mineral oil anywhere around the hives. Just want to throw that out there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: No Beetles

Ive relatively no beetles as of yet. Strong hives must fend them off well for me. I still install beetle busters in each box. July is coming soon though....

Last year I noticed that I didn't have as many hive beetles. I thought that it might have been because of such a cold winter in 2017. This year I have seen only 1 beetle out of 16 hives and 8 nucs . I have oil pans under screened bottom boards but have not seen any in the pans either. Don't know why but am glad.

I'm near Danielsville. This year has been the first that I have found very few hive beetles in any of my hives. I have no idea what is different.....
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

We are seeing very few here, as well, maybe ten all year. We are not doing anything different than before, it has been nice not having to change DE and micro fiber strips. But, as Rich said, July is coming.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

I havent noticed many yet this year either, but I think it's coming before long.
    Last year they seemed to be pretty prevalent.

I thought I was being such a great beekeeper this year somehow...

I have seen very few this year and that includes my mini mating nucs. The mini mating nucs generally have a few. By this time of the year, I would be loosing a few mating nucs that failed to produce a queen to beetles.

The only thing I can come up with was the weird late winter and spring weather we had. The most beetles I've seen this year was a few that overwintered with the bees, but have since disappeared.

If anyone is "missing" SHB's, I'll gladly send all that you desire.......inundated with them. However (for now) the bees are handling them.......
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Not missing them, just fearing and waiting for the next shoe to drop.

I think it is because our ground around here has been saturated since September/October. That's the only thing different that I can see, but it could be many things.

I only found one today in eight nucs that I looked into.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    I think it is because our ground around here has been saturated since September/October. That's the only thing different that I can see, but it could be many things.
    AHudd:

I think this is a good hypothesis- I am a bit North of you but have had a similar weather pattern. Like most of the posts here, this year the beetles have been conspicuously absent thus far.

We don't have hive beetles here, but could the absence of beetles be because your present stock is all from a swarm? If you get a package or a nuc it could already have a beetle in it. But I doubt a swarm would have beetles.
    Zone 5B

I'm still not finding many beetles. I made some very weak splits this Spring to keep for insurance, they don't have beetles either. Usually, I find a few beetles under the inner cover of all hives, but so far this year I'll see a couple then maybe none in the next 2 or 3, then a few and so on. I hope it continues.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    We don't have hive beetles here, but could the absence of beetles be because your present stock is all from a swarm? If you get a package or a nuc it could already have a beetle in it. But I doubt a swarm would have beetles.
    No

They are coming, better load hives with beetle busters... lol

I live in southeast VA and have regularly had to fight the large beetle populations from hives near tree lines. This year, I too have been pleasantly surprised that I have little to no beetles in any hives. I did start the season by introducing bated traps, but I did not see beetles in any of the traps. I thought my efforts to eradicate them manually regularly had payed off, but this seems to be more wide spread.

Vic

[QUOTE=v-beebud;1737211]I live in southeast VA and have regularly had to fight the large beetle populations from hives near tree lines. This year, I too have been pleasantly surprised that I have little to no beetles in any hives. I did start the season by introducing bated traps, but I did not see beetles in any of the traps. I thought my efforts to eradicate them manually regularly had payed off, but this seems to be more wide spread

New to the forum, I've noticed a lack of them as well. North country here and thinking it has to do with the weather. Very wet spring and summer so far. It feels as if we are several months behind in weather.

Richmond, VA area

I've only spotted 2 or 3 beetles in my dozen hives. This is 10 feet from thick tree line.

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    They are coming, better load hives with beetle busters... lol

They are here in SC. I have 5 weak split's and one was at the larva stage recently but I didn't see the little bastards. They must have done a hit job. The stronger hives have lower populations than the weaker splits. All in All, I agree with everyone though that I am seeing significantly lower numbers this year so far

I went in my hive the other day and they are running like crazy. I have a pan under my hive and they were all around it. Central Ala.

For me, SHB were a bit more numerous last year than the previous two years and I thought they were going to be a problem for me this year. However, after noticing some earlier this season, I have only noted 1 SHB in my two hives. Seems like the bees are keeping them at bay or they are not really around much yet. I still have some traps ready if needed though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast