Changing the box of a new colony due to a defect

Default Changing the box of a new colony due to a defect

Hi there, this is my first year beekeeping. Everything has been going very good so far and the bees look very productive and appear to be expanding in population. They've drawn out 6 frames so far so I'm preparing to add another box on top. However, there is an issue. I don't know how it slipped past me but my box is not level on one of its sides so there's a gap that they used for a short time as an entrance. I decided it was not good for the hive for an opening along the stretch of the hive to bee accessible to things such as ants and flies. For the time I've blocked it off with duct tape. But with the adding of a new brood box soon I've been wondering if it would be okay for the bees if I swapped out the bottom box, of course keeping all the frames in order, etc. If only to eliminate the duct tape. Would this put to much stress on the bees though? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Changing the box of a new colony due to a defect

They won't care.

The bear attacking my hives took a chunk out of one of my boxes. I only noticed it this year because I saw bees coming in and out of it. I figured they'd propolise it if they didn't want it there. They seem to be using it at this point.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they'd be ok with it but due it being a new hive would it open them up to more harassment from things like ants, robber bees, and other insects that would hurt the hive? If it wasn't for that id be happy to let them do what they will.

They will be fine if you want to swap their box out.

Just dont lose the queen in the grass! If your bees are runny or drippy putting a blanket down under where the frames are swung over to the other box is good insurance.
    Frank

Alright, just making sure it wouldn't hurt them and thanks for the blanket suggestion. But as long as it won't stress them out to much. I figured I might as well do it while I add another box

Quote Originally Posted by thepcg View Post
    Hi there, this is my first year beekeeping. Everything has been going very good so far and the bees look very productive and appear to be expanding in population. They've drawn out 6 frames so far so I'm preparing to add another box on top. However, there is an issue. I don't know how it slipped past me but my box is not level on one of its sides so there's a gap that they used for a short time as an entrance. I decided it was not good for the hive for an opening along the stretch of the hive to bee accessible to things such as ants and flies. For the time I've blocked it off with duct tape. But with the adding of a new brood box soon I've been wondering if it would be okay for the bees if I swapped out the bottom box, of course keeping all the frames in order, etc. If only to eliminate the duct tape. Would this put to much stress on the bees though? Thanks in advance.
    fine to do the box swap,, Pick a warm day > 70 take the hive off the bottom board set it to the side on the lid or something.. check under the bottom for ants, etc. re level, set the new hive body on the bottom , move the frames from 1 to 10 leaving in the same order. easy peasy.
    since the old box is primed make it into swarm trap, screw a piece of plywood to the bottom and drill a 2 inch hole in the end, and you have a swarm trap.

Thanks, also yeah it'd make good swarm trap for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by thepcg View Post
    Thanks, also yeah it'd make good swarm trap for next year.
    i have also soaked the box the set it on the driveway, with a lid or plywood , with 4 or so concrete blocks on it to "reorient" some of the fibers in the wood. moisture and pressure can have positive effects or set your table saw to about 1/3 of the 9 5/8 like 3 1/8 and make 3 eeks for top mountain camp feeding/ sugar blocks. or a frame holder for extra frames, it is the correct size for several options.