cardboard nuc fastener

Default cardboard nuc fastener

What do you use to fasten these cardboard nucs a little better? The staple gun they sell is ridiculously priced for the amount of them i'm using. anybody use some other method to make sure it doesn't come apart in transport?
    Also mine has holes in the lid where the tabs go and see it gets wet after a rain. What do you do to prevent this? Or am i just supposed to use these when packing them up to move? I ran out of equipment this year and i had swarm central so had to split and used up a bunch of these that i will be selling.
    Terrence

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: cardboard nuc fastener

Although I have a stapler like they suggest, I would suggest duct tape to take care of your problems....it sticks good to those waxed boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    Although I have a stapler like they suggest, I would suggest duct tape to take care of your problems....it sticks good to those waxed boxes.
    I might have to get the stapler. Don't know about you but if i were paying top dollar for a nuc i'd not be impressed with duct tape lol. I don't like how the bottom tabs can't be reached with that stapler. Do you add screen to one of the vent holes? how is that attached?
    Terrence

I've never added screen to the cardboard nuc boxes.....the punched holes seem work good for ventilation. In the early spring I try to make a few nucs each year to keep or sell.....no problems so far.

I've bought a few nuc a few years ago....they were trucked in from CA after almonds. They all had their lids taped on with duct tape. Duct tape doesn't bother me....now if they came with baling wire wrapped around them I might not be impressed.

I have used this one and it worked fine

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is about half the price of mann lake. Just order the long staples for it since they are a differt size than your standard desktop stapler

This one also looks like the mann lake one
    https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Classic...09CB4CH0ARSTRB