Honey Color and Northeast Nectar Flow. Any ideas what produces such clear honey?

Default Honey Color and Northeast Nectar Flow. Any ideas what produces such clear honey?

I just pulled a few distended frames from a super that is filling up. The honey color is almost clear (shown in the picture on the left). What I pulled last fall was much darker (shown on right). A local producer's clover brand is in the middle. My clear honey was from an overwintered colony that did not get spring feeding. I am in Dutchess County NY (between NYC and Albany) in a small town called Milan. This hive is one of two set in a field of wildlowers but there is tons of forage whichever direction they go. Any idea what would have been in flow in the area over the last month that would have produced this clear of honey?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Honey Color and Northeast Nectar Flow. Any ideas what produces such clear honey?

black locust

Ditto black locust, and early spring blooms in general. Most of mine I just pulled looks like that, and we had a very good locust bloom this year. Seems to me that any honey they store through black locust bloom is very light. Clover comes in after locust and from then on the color seems to darken.
    Mistakes are the best taechers

Default Re: Honey Color and Northeast Nectar Flow. Any ideas what produces such clear honey?

Thanks Coal Reaper. Interesting. There are surely a lot of those around this area. So will Black Locust always produce honey that blonde? I was wondering if all our rain over the last month made it lighter.

Thanks, Beebeard!

Beebeard & Coal Reaper, is there a source (other than more experienced beeks on this forum ;-)) for our area's nectar flow order? I heard maple/locust are some of the big spring ones, and clover in the middle, then dearth and then goldenrod, but is there some online source for what is normal for our area in order of appearance?

consider yourself lucky. pure BL honey is clear. rain doesnt directly make it light. the BL flower hangs down like a bell so it is protected from rain washout. so while other blooms may have the nectar rained out, the BL is still available for the bees. BL honey is highly prized by tea affectionados for its mild taste while still being sweet. remember this and i advise market it as such when selling.
    raspberry is also light but those should not quite be done blooming yet by you.

Great info. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBen View Post
    Beebeard & Coal Reaper, is there a source (other than more experienced beeks on this forum ;-)) for our area's nectar flow order? I heard maple/locust are some of the big spring ones, and clover in the middle, then dearth and then goldenrod, but is there some online source for what is normal for our area in order of appearance?
    often times this is localized. keep a record. beekeepers become botanists.
    maple, fruits, dandelion, BL, tulip poplar, blackberry, raspberry, catalpa, clover is the order of the major players in my area. we dont have lime/linden. then summer dearth followed with goldenrod in the fall.

Excellent!

re "becoming botanists"... I am just starting to catch on that that will be required. :-)