Black bees?

Thread: Black bees?

Default Black bees?

I run Baton Rogue and Bee Weaver bees which are darker bees with the BW being darker but striped.

I was cleaning up some frames today and had several black bees come in to the drippings. Thorax was fuzzy but the abdomen was completely black. Not seen this color bee before around here I have darker bees but not black.

Any suggestions how a big queen with a bright yellow abdomen could end up in a hive that I split? I left QC's in the box but the other queen I saw hatching was like the other bees and banded but darker colored queen. Not a big blond??? She is laying and the hive is not mean. Found her in a box last week.

I had this last year when in Late July there was a big yellow queen trying to get into my BR hive with a fist full of bees.

Strange times.
    I run 4 hives at the moment but two are for a friend down south of Houston.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Black bees?

Genetic throwbacks or genetic mutations whichever you prefer. Think of it along the lines of the genes of the female (which are mixed to begin with) being mixed with the genes of multiple males, the proverbial box of chocolates lol.
    I see black bees with no stripes in my hives occasionally.
    Rod

Black bees with no stripes often just means - old forager bees - all it is to it.
    They have worn out the lighter hair and look much darker compared to the young bees (of exact same exterior).

Old forager bees are by trade the scout bees and are scanning the area for any easy loot they can find, among other things (including any drippings and such).
    I would not immediately assume these are, indeed, very dark bees from some different source.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

My BR queen was from the south part of Houston where the guy had tons of hives and I did have larger, smaller, dark bodies and regular but no solid Black.
    I had a several of the solid blacks around yesterday.

I can live with a big blond queen as long as she is not mean. Where did she come from is more the question? Still not sure where the big blond one came from last year. Not from either hive since both queens were there and the fight was in full force on the landing board where she was trying to get in.

I grew up with bees for 30 years and the all were Italian and pretty much the same since my uncle had bees and I borrowed gear and bees as needed over the years between 59 thru 92.

It was amazing all the different looking bees that came to scraps last year. I had different bees flying off in different directions and flight lines. Never realized just how many feral groups of bees there were in the area.
    Last edited by JimD; 06-10-2019 at 08:30 AM.