How much time do you have to transfer a frame of eggs from one hive to another?

Default How much time do you have to transfer a frame of eggs from one hive to another?

When moving a frame with eggs to another hive either to test for queen less ness or to raise a new queen, how much time do you have to make the transfer? Say the hives are in different apiaries. I can understand that if you transfer the frame without any bees on it, then the eggs might dry out quickly. But if you transfer the frame with bees on it, then is that much different than the frame being inside the hive? So how much time do you have to make the transfer with bees and without bees?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How much time do you have to transfer a frame of eggs from one hive to another?

Ok, the best way to transfer a frame is in a nuc with the bees. Second best would be to shake the bees and place in a nuc box with a warm wet sponge or towel in the bottom. Third best is to simply wrap the frame in a warm damp towel and try to keep it out of drafts. My understanding is that that will give you about a two hour window. Longest I have gone is an hour and in that case, all the brood emerged. Worst way is to place it on your car seat unwrapped with the ac blowing on it.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.