Guide me through this split please

Default Guide me through this split please

Because of a hospitalization, I was a tad late checking in on my 4 packaged hives. The day before I went in (May 27) they had room. When I was finally able to get out and do something (June 5,) they were first on my agenda.
    Three out of four were bursting with bees. One hive had three queen cells in the center frames. Rut Roh!

I took those three frames, shook all the bees off of them and replaced them with drawn comb frames. I then put the three frames with capped brood, eggs, and larvae in an upper deep and left them on top of the brood super for the night.

The next day I went back and the three frames were covered with nurse bees. I took them 14 miles away and included a couple of honey frames as well as five drawn comb frames to complete a 10 frame super.

I mixed up some sugar 1:1 and fed them. In two days, the quart is gone.

I don't think I should go into the hive again for a few weeks, but should I keep feeding them? If so - why?

I do see some pollen being brought in. The bees are not pissy. Everything seems like it's okay.

Thoughts?
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Guide me through this split please

Sounds good to me.

An excluder would have made sure the queen did not move up onto the frames.
    I would not feed them. QC's are made and not much brood left to feed. Why invite robbing, save yourself a 28 mile drive and get your rest.

Keep an eye on the donors, just to make sure you are not looking at superceder, swarming or moved a queen by mistake.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Default Re: Guide me through this split please

I mixed up some sugar 1:1 and fed them. In two days, the quart is gone.

I don't think I should go into the hive again for a few weeks, but should I keep feeding them? If so - why?

I do see some pollen being brought in. The bees are not pissy. Everything seems like it's okay.
    Thoughts?

No do not feed them any more, once the Dandelions are out they should be fine. And you state you added some frames with honey. feeding could start robbing, and IMO is redundant if they have a frame of honey.

As you stated sealed swarm cells, that would be at 8 days and they did not swarm yet so likely between 8 and 16 days old. she needs to hatch, harden up , mate then start laying. I would give her 3 weeks from the day you seen them capped to then go look for the queen or eggs. Also keep in mind the original hive may just start more, so give them some room and keep an eye on them. if you find the same thing take another split. unless you do not want increase. By The way shaking the frame with a queen cell is bad juju, she is fragile, be better to use a feather to flick the bees off, with 3 hopefully one still has her parts all connected. there is my thoughts.

also good advise from Salty "Keep an eye on the donors, just to make sure you are not looking at supersede, swarming or moved a queen by mistake."
    GG