How late can I requeen?

Default How late can I requeen?

I was thinking of requeening some of my hives later in the season. If I did that by pinching the existing queen so that a new one can be raised how late in the season can I realistically do that so that she is mated and laying prior to the winter? I am in eastern Pennsylvania, right on the Mason-Dixon line, planting zone 6b.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How late can I requeen?

Rob, you can realistically do this through the end of July. BUT, do not pinch the queen. Instead, move her to a nuc with a frame of bees and some drawn comb and then let the bees raise a new queen in the main hive. If for some reason, like birds and dragonflies, the new queen does not make it, you still have you old queen and can recombine.

Last year about 90% of my late summer queens never made it back.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I like the advice given, bank her in case uou need her. maybe do this the 1rst of July so you can still get honey, eggs, and a brood break.

I have a virgin queen and several others ready to hatch. It’s almost July. I just started beekeeping 2 months ago so my package hive is doing well but still small. Should I just kill all my virgin queens and call it experimentation, or is there still enough summer to make new hives? I’m in a mild climate (no freeze in winter).

Quote Originally Posted by Andhors View Post
    I have a virgin queen and several others ready to hatch. It’s almost July. I just started beekeeping 2 months ago so my package hive is doing well but still small. Should I just kill all my virgin queens and call it experimentation, or is there still enough summer to make new hives? I’m in a mild climate (no freeze in winter).
    is the virgin new? If so she already killed all the others in their cells.
    Terrence

I caged the cells (push in cages), but I looked in as the first was hatching and put her in a nuc with 2 frames and some bees.

Get queen cells underway so there is very little loss of brood production time when you use them to requeen. It does not take a lot of resources to mate a queen. If you simpy pinch the queen it will be seven weeks or so before you have brood from her replacement! That is if she even manages to mate and return.
    Frank