Looking for some local Washington advice...

Default Looking for some local Washington advice...

1) Are there specific varroa mite thresholds to dictate treatment for our region?

2) What times of the year should I treat my hives?

Picked up my nucs 5/4. I'm going to start doing a monthly mite count via powdered sugar method this upcoming week, just looking for guidance on when tx is indicated for our area. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Looking for some local Washington advice...

what is an appropriate threshold for treatment ? That depends on the time of year to some extent, mite populations are not static, they are growing. I used to get real concerned about thresholds and numbers when doing a mite check, but we have since dramatically simplified our process. Do a shake, count mites. Any number greater than zero means, deal with mites.

I've posted much on this subject in the past. For a short read that explains mite population dynamics, read the first post in this thread:- https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...f-a-mite-crash

Default Re: Looking for some local Washington advice...

Excellent reply and info on the provided link. Trying to soak up all I can as a new beek. Sounds like I'm on the right track just doing a sugar role in this upcoming week and then repeating monthly and treating accordingly. Thank you for your explanation about conceptualizing the life cycle sprints as well. I hadn't put it together with the 3 week brood cycle and new info about the mite cycle. Simple and straightforward. Much appreciated.