Queen Introduction-Cells Hatched, Virgin's Possibly Flown

Default Queen Introduction-Cells Hatched, Virgin's Possibly Flown

Hello, I am a complete Newbie this year.

I installed my Saskatraz package 4/27. They had accepted their queen, she had an excellent start with comb being drawn rapidly, eggs laid, larvae & capped brood being tended to, and resources stored. The sticky on queen introduction here has shown me the error of my ways in micromanaging and ultimately causing her rejection. Her workers had formed supercedure cells when I discovered their queenlessness 2 weekends ago. I left the cells in there, intending on splitting when I received my mated queen this week, to allow them to try to raise out their virgin queen in a nuc.

This morning prior to work, I went out to make the split, so that when I return from work with mated queen delivered today (she looks great!), I could introduce her to this roaring, queenless colony I had pictured in my head...but those cells have all been removed, except one which has a nice, clean hatch out hole in the end. I was unable to find their virgin. This makes me think she may have flown out for the mating flight, but we had rain late in the day yesterday, and today is cool & overcast. Does this mean she probably won't be returning? There are no eggs, larvae, or capped brood present.

Should I just hive this caged queen, and hope that if the virgin does return successfully mated, that she would be rejected and not allowed in to fight this queen I had shipped in? Or, if it were you, would you place a split in the nuc, introduce the caged queen to that, and leave the hive queenless in order to give this virgin a chance to return mated to her colony?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen Introduction-Cells Hatched, Virgin's Possibly Flown

Virgins are hard to spot. If your bees are dark, more so. They are small and runny.
    I would put the mated queen, in her cage, into a nuc and see if your virgin will become mated. Time enough to rejoin later if necessary.
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b