Beek attire - Wish I knew before yesterday...

Default Beek attire - Wish I knew before yesterday...

One item that I have not seen beekeepers using and I wonder why... a sweatband/headband to absorb sweat rolling off the forehead and onto eye glasses essentially blinding the beekeeper.

It happened yesterday - it's very warm, I'm suited up with my jacket and attached hood/veil. In no time sweat is rolling off my forehead onto my glasses restricting my view as well as being very uncomfortable. While fumbling around trying to see what I was doing I received two stings.

Today, lacking a real sweatband, I tied a long sleeve t shirt's sleeves around my head before suiting up. I thought I would be overheating even more, however, even with temps higher today than yesterday I was comfortable, was able to see well and could take my time. I'm going to be adding a simple terrycloth band to my beekeeping attire.
    Wisconsin/Upper Michigan Border - Marinette County
    First colony, April 2019

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beek attire - Wish I knew before yesterday...

I'm bald, like shaved to the bone bald. Believe me, I can relate. I have a 10 pack of those cheesy '70s and '80s style terry cloth headbands. Without them, sweat just streams right down my head and into my eyes.

Same issue with my glasses, I use a rolled up bandana as a headband. In mid summer when it's really steamy I'll periodically soak it in cold water and wring it out before placing back around my forehead. Makes a world of difference in comfort, and keeps my glasses clear of sweat.
    To everything there is a season....

I use a rolled up bandana as a headband to hold on a shamwow.
    Started April Fools Day 2017

I use strips of cotton fabric cut from retired t-shirts for homemade sweat bands. I put on sunscreen and the mix of that and perspiration in my eyes….I’d be blinded within a few minutes on a hot summer day.
    Sweat bands? Don’t leave home without them.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

I bought a pair made from space age material that wicks and cools. I have to say, these work so much better than cotton and I sweat profusely. I need a pair of hair clips I place right behind my ears to keep it in place under the veil. I skip the shirt under the jacket as well. These work really well.

https://www.amazon.com/Self-Pro-Swea.../dp/B074NZSXW6
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

I wear a headband also because of sweat running down on my glasses. Nothing fancy, just a cotton rag rolled up to form a bandana.

Alison uses one every time she puts on her bee suit, even in cooler weather...
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

I use these, pulled down over my forehead and draped down my neck. Tried a lot of different types. Wetted down it keeps my melon from a thermal meltdown. And most of the time it keeps the sweat out my eyes.
    https://www.mission.com/products/cop...nt=17324448773
    Rod