Queen not laying after relocation of hive

Default Queen not laying after relocation of hive

About three weeks ago I moved a couple of hives about 30 miles to my daughter's property. When I checked on them yesterday two were doing very well but one was not. When I removed the top cover, from above things seemed pretty normal. There was a decent number of bees covering the frames but there was that uncomfortable buzzing that made me think they had lost their queen. As I started going through things I didn't see any brood or eggs - both were present at the time of the move. However, the queen was there so I caged her while I took a closer look at things. There was some nectar and pollen stored and a little capped honey. But there were no eggs, no capped or uncapped brood. It seems that after the move the queen just shut down. Is it possible that the move has put her temporarily off her game? Is it likely the queen will get back to normal or should I just go ahead and replace her now? Or should I give her a little more time to get back on track? I plan to check on them again in a week. I appreciate your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen not laying after relocation of hive

No eggs, no brood means that there has not been a laying queen since roughly the time you moved them.

My guess, queen didn't survive the move and what you found is the new replacement they just raised and she's not mated and laying yet.

I did not think about that possibility. If that's the case I hope there's still enough drones around for her to mate. I guess another couple of weeks will tell.

Grozzie2 - I just wanted to share with you that I do believe you were right on the money about my queen. I checked on that colony yesterday and found they were doing great. The queen was laying well and she had 2 1/2 frames full of brood in all stages. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Stanley View Post
    Grozzie2 - I just wanted to share with you that I do believe you were right on the money about my queen. I checked on that colony yesterday and found they were doing great. The queen was laying well and she had 2 1/2 frames full of brood in all stages. Thanks for your input.
    You are very welcome. Glad to hear it worked out ok. FYI, we move our bees twice a year, and it's not unusual to lose a queen during the move.