moving queen cells out of cell builder - add 9 to date, not 10!!!

Default moving queen cells out of cell builder - add 9 to date, not 10!!!

Turns out when people say to move cells out of the cell builder 10 days after the grafting day, this means add 9 - not 10 - to the current date. As in, day 1 is graft day. And Day 10 is 9 days later.

Just thought I would share my improved math skills for anyone who may be starting out. I guess everybody has to have that experience sometime.

Interesting note - I saw 2 newly-emerged queens, on combs close to the cell bar. They moved slowly, and were fat. So I actually picked one up to put her in the mating nuc I was setting up! The other got moved with her comb. Sadly, there were 3 more who disappeared into the cell builder. Could be worse - still had 4 queen cells intact. 6 out of 11 is better than no queens in the mating nucs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: moving queen cells out of cell builder - add 9 to date, not 10!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trishbookworm View Post
    Turns out when people say to move cells out of the cell builder 10 days after the grafting day, this means add 9 - not 10 - to the current date. As in, day 1 is graft day. And Day 10 is 9 days later.

Just thought I would share my improved math skills for anyone who may be starting out. I guess everybody has to have that experience sometime.

Interesting note - I saw 2 newly-emerged queens, on combs close to the cell bar. They moved slowly, and were fat. So I actually picked one up to put her in the mating nuc I was setting up! The other got moved with her comb. Sadly, there were 3 more who disappeared into the cell builder. Could be worse - still had 4 queen cells intact. 6 out of 11 is better than no queens in the mating nucs!
    No, you are wrong. If your larvae has been of proper age, then it goes like this:

day1= grafting day (lets say it is friday)
    day2= next day (saturday)

day11= take cells to mating nucs (monday)

or the same with other day numbers:
    day0= grafting day

day10= take cells to mating nucs

Default Re: moving queen cells out of cell builder - add 9 to date, not 10!!!

We pull cells no later than 240 hours after grafting (I personally refer to them as 10 day cells) and 95%+ will hold overnight in incubation. If they hatch sooner than 240 hours, then you’re grafting larvae that is more mature than is ideal for quality queens.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney