any correlation between bearding and swarm-possibility?

Question any correlation between bearding and swarm-possibility?

I have a hive (1 deep, 3 mediums) with a decent population, but not anything eye-popping; plenty of space in the top medium for work. This is the 3rd year for the colony.

Still .... this hive beards a lot (even when the temp outside in a.m. is kinda cool), so: should I be concerned at all about swarming (due, maybe, to some population issue)?

Do the bees beard as a standard coping mechanism for inner-hive heat? Nothing to fret about?

Thx for any insights as to this ....

Mitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: any correlation between bearding and swarm-possibility?

Bearding is a normal behavior. It may or may not indicate overcrowding. If your nectar flow has slowed or ended, I suspect that there is little likelihood of swarming.
    Once the nectar flow has ended the vast majority of bees are unemployed foragers. They have no duties inside the hive and therefore, when ambient temperatures get high, they remain outside so they donít add their biological heat to the nest.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Default Re: any correlation between bearding and swarm-possibility?

There is only a loose relationship between bearding and swarming. A strong hive may swarm. A strong hive will beard. We want strong hives.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#bearding
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF