New Hive: Risk of Absconding?

Default New Hive: Risk of Absconding?

I just inherited a 3-year-old hive (1 deep brood, 2 medium supers) from a friend. We moved it about 45 miles. It's very heavy (80+ lbs) and some mistakes were made.

The friend recommends harvesting the honey quickly in case they decide to abscond. We are in a flow now, but the summer dearth will get here (Central Texas).

Advice? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New Hive: Risk of Absconding?

Bees do not typically just abscond. Why does he think they will and what "mistakes" did you make? 80# sounds like they are doing well.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Why does he think they will and what "mistakes" did you make? 80# sounds like they are doing well.
    The mistakes were not major. Some bumping the hive. On the drive I hit a pretty good bump that made the hive turn maybe 90 degrees.

He is thinking they may abscond as a result of the move.

I'

If bees absconded in response to being moved, the skies in Central CA in February would be obscured by the honey-bees flying around in a sulk because they'd been trucked cross country.

Bees rarely just up and leave the hive entirely.

Nancy

Thanks all, appreciate the responses!

wondering if what your friend really meant, harvest the honey and get the empty supers back on to give them space in case they are thinking swarm.

grozzie has a good point. If you are worried, I sometimes put a queen excluder between the bottom box and floor to keep her majesty in long enough to get established. However, you already have an established hive and she should stay put unless other factors like lack of space drive her out.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

I was wondering if queen excluders help prevent 'absconding' by the hive? (I know this isn't there main purpose, but is it possible its an added benefit?)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hagane View Post
    I was wondering if queen excluders help prevent 'absconding' by the hive? (I know this isn't there main purpose, but is it possible its an added benefit?)

Thanks.
    Yes they can. Very useful when capturing a swarm without any comb. However, in this case, they should have eggs and brood to “anchor” the queen in place.