Slatted Rack Difference

Hybrid View

Default Slatted Rack Difference

So, I'm going to use slatted racks in my hives and I plan on building them myself. I have seen two different designs and am not sure which one to go with. I'm looking for input on which one I should go with, and if there is a big deal with the difference. One design has slats going the entire length of the rack, where the other has a 3 inch solid board at the front. The pictures show one deeper than the other, I'll be making them 2.5 inches deep. The only thing I'm not sure about is the length of the slats. I just don't know if there is a difference in the performance of the rack. Thanks!

10 Frame Slatted Rack.jpg Slatted_Rack_8_Frame.jpg

Default Re: Slatted Rack Difference

The purpose of the baffle at the front is to block the air and light from the entrance. This allows the queen to lay all the way to the front of the frames in the bottom box. The gap under the slatted rack is actually the point of the rack. To allow cluster space inside the hive that usually won't be filled with comb. Without the baffle and without the gap under the rack, the effectiveness is seriously impaired.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The purpose of the baffle at the front is to block the air and light from the entrance. This allows the queen to lay all the way to the front of the frames in the bottom box. The gap under the slatted rack is actually the point of the rack. To allow cluster space inside the hive that usually won't be filled with comb. Without the baffle and without the gap under the rack, the effectiveness is seriously impaired.
    Yeah, what he said. Build it like the 2nd one you posted above.

This is how I made some:
    http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/beek17b.htm (second photo down) - they work really well. I recently checked one after 12 months of use and it was as clean as the day I installed it. Well pleased.

If you take a look at how the inventor (C.C.Miller) made his - you'll realise that exactly how they are made really isn't all that important. He appears to have made the originals using an axe !
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

C.C. Miller's picture of his slatted rack:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/images/MillerSlattedRack.jpg
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thanks y’all. I appreciate the info. I have plans for the one with the solid board, so that’s what I’ll be doing. In y’alls opinion, do these really make a difference? I’ve been a beek for 3 years and I’ve had good success without them.