Apivar - Dosage Questions

Default Apivar - Dosage Questions

I have read the directions on the Apivar package and the FAQ sheets for us, uk and nz. There is not a lot of consistency. U.S. label and FAQ says 2 strips per “brood chamber.” UK FAQ says 2 strips “per hive.”

If I am running a 2-Medium brood chamber, do I treat with 2 strips or 4?

If I am running a 1-Deep + 1 Medium brood chamber, do I treat with 2 strips or 4?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Apivar - Dosage Questions

In my opinion, it is a judgment call. I do it more based on the actual brood area. I use one strip for each 3-4 frames of brood. I suspend them between brood frames. I usually use two to three and occasionally four strips per full sized hive.
    I tend to lean toward using too many than not enough.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

iirc, it calls for 1 strip per 5 frames of bees, but that is for a full size brood box. Literature also says overdose can leave residues. Not sure how you'd break it down for mediums, I have just gone with 2 strips per full size BB.

Found this on some literature, you may be able to contact this guy and see if there is any conversion for mixed brood box sizes.

Phil Craft, Apivar’s U.S. technical advisor, can answer your questions. Contact him at [email protected]
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

beemandan: What is your usual hive configuration when you treat with Apivar?

Thanks Western. I met Phil Craft several years ago at a bee conference. If I get a response, I will post here.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    beemandan: What is your usual hive configuration when you treat with Apivar?
    Most are double deeps.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Is it a good time to treat with Apivar right now? I have no honey supers on, and am feeding syrup trying to get frames drawn. How long after you introduce a queen?

You can trear with Apivar anytime that honey supers you intend to harvest are not present. The treatment lasts for 6-8 weeks and you need an additional two weeks before adding supers. Apivar does not affect the queen or laying. Dosage is dependant on frames of brood, 1 strip for every five frames and they need to be at least three frames apart . Since the strips are designed for deeps, you need to adjust dosage and placement for use with mediums or cut them to size. The nurse bees tending brood need to touch them to be effective, unlike Formic Pro, MAQS, or the thymol based products which fumigate the hive.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

i run 2 deep 10 F brood chambers and last year had all 15 large hives come through winter. I had treated them with 2 apivar strips each at the end of July. They were also treated with formic pro in early summer and OAV spring and when broodless in early winter

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    I had treated them with 2 apivar strips each at the end of July.
    aran: Each Deep Brood chamber or each hive?

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    aran: Each Deep Brood chamber or each hive?
    2 per hive