queen problems

Thread: queen problems

Default queen problems

Started out the year with 4 hives that were nucs, a split and a hive from a old tire the prior year. I put in 3 new queens on August 29 2018 and kept one of the original queens. Starting off the new year I began feed syrup on 03/11/19, then more on 03/14 and 03/17. All hives had been bringing in a lot of pollen. When looking at the brood patterns near month end only one queen was really pumping out the brood. So on 04/03/19 installed 3 new queens. I went back into those hives on 04/20/19 to make sure the queens were released and all were. Checked these hives on 05/01/19 still minimal queen activity. By 05/25/19 one queen looks O'K the other two still almost no capped brood. On 5/31/19 installed two new queens again. Before using a shaker box(queen excluder nailed to the bottom of a deep box) was always able to find the old queens. This time never found the old queens. I am planning on looking at the 2 week point to make sure the queens were released, but then after that I would like to hear what other people would do. I wondered if I went into the hives too much. I think I should have not replaced the queens in April, was too fast then, should have let them come out of winter and fed earlier. Second year beekeeper from Central Texas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: queen problems

Checked on 06/13/19 both queens were released and saw capped brood and larva.