What disease does this look like?

Default What disease does this look like?

Hi fellow beekeepers, I'm in need of some help/advice. I have a nuc that I purchased 4 weeks ago. The hive started off very active but I noticed a rapid decline in their activity. Initially I thought mites and began treatment with apivar strips last week. I did a more thorough inspection this week and found a ton of larvae on the bottom screen. My queens brood pattern is scattered and I thought maybe AFB so I did the match test and nothing was stringing out. I did notice a few hive beetles so I have added two beetle blasters and did the swiffer pad trick that has worked on my other hive. Here are some pictures.... Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default What disease does this look like?

i started a new thread for you jacole101.

the yellow brood is characteristic of european foulbrood or efb.

i would consider bringing in someone with experience to help you with this, and time is not on your side.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thank you for helping start a new thread and the tip on EFB. I had no idea terramycin was such a pain to track down. Hopefully a friend of a friend might be able to help me out. Fingers crossed!

Default Re: What disease does this look like?

i am sorry about your colony jacole, and by the way welcome to beesource.

there is a possibility that this colony is already a goner but doesn't know it yet. that's why you need a veteran beekeeper to help you out.

another option is to contact the supplier of that nuc and see if they will come get it and bring you a healthier one.

to get a definitive diagnosis you will need to send a sample to the bee lab in beltsville maryland, or purchase this field test kit:

https://www.vita-europe.com/beehealt...stic-test-kit/

the bigger problem than the immediate needs of your new colony is that whatever disease and/or pests are bothering it can spread to your other nuc as well as to other nearby colonies.

i.e. one collapse can domino into multiple collapses, which is very bad.

again this is why someone with experience needs to get on the asap.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

SquarePeg, thank you for your response to my questions. My issue turned out to be chalkbrood. The supplier will be replacing my nuc. It was interesting that he said if caught early enough, a banana cut in half and placed on the frames could help rid the hive of chalkbrood. It was just too late for my girls.