Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Giving up....

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  edzkoda 
#1 ·
Well it saddens me to say I have been advised to give up my passion for bees. Another trip to the Hospital Saturday after a bee sting on my hand. After two years of immunology and maintenance doses it appears i am still not safe. I am selling all my equipment and bees and still doing my other passion of wooden ware and such. I wanted to thank all the folks in here over the past few years with all the advice and help with my learning curve. Not fare to my wonderful wife who is my biggest supporter and has put up with all the hive parts and stands and stuff around our yard as well, lol. Anyway, it is what it is and don't want to push my luck anymore. I sure will miss the girls buzzing around the crab apple trees and flowers though. Thanks again to everyone here, Jack and Pam

#4 ·
Sorry to hear that Jack.I will be giving up soon also due to old age and not getting around and not able to do the things I used to do.But I will carry my memories of all the honey flows,the new queens that have grafter and some that have hatched out in my hands,the swarms I have walked into the middle of while they were landing or going into boxes.I wish I had some young fellow I could teach everything I have learned over the last 39 years to and get him on the right track with bees.

#6 ·
Not fare to my wonderful wife who is my biggest supporter
Tough decision, sorry that you have to make it. It sounds to me like you have your priorities in the exact right order, Sir.

I wish I had some young fellow I could teach everything I have learned over the last 39 years to and get him on the right track with bees.
I’ll be that guy. Not sure I meet the definition of “young” fellow anymore, however. I only wish that I had your experience. What a blessing to spend 39 years doing something you love.

#7 ·
Very sorry to hear this Jack, but I agree it is not worth risking your life over. Have you thought about trying your hand at raising/keeping/protecting/making a habitat for other types of bees that pose little or no risk to your health? I know when I have to give this up the part I will miss most is the discovery, observation,learning and amazement that happens when you go deep into trying to understand a species. J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.