bees flying later in the day

Default bees flying later in the day

So a little back story. it has been hot here in Florida no rain for nearly a month. The bees like to be active later in the day it kinda looks like a orientation fly but hen i go out and look they are just very active at the entrance. Anyone seen this before? also today i sprayed the hose on them not sure if it helped at all, water is near them, also i showed my brother what bee look like when they are doing some ACing. i am thinking of moving the hive into a more shaded area, the area they r in gets about 12 hrs of direct sunlight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: bees flying later in the day

Most likely mid day the flowers are not putting out any nectar because of the heat forcing the bees to forage earlier and later in the day when it's cooler out. I could be wrong but that's what I suspect. What is your entrance and bottom board set up curiously?

Bees are very efficient at keeping the hive the temp where they want it as long as they have an air flow. They also need air movement to dry nectar too.
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by vtbeeguy View Post
    Most likely mid day the flowers are not putting out any nectar because of the heat forcing the bees to forage earlier and later in the day when it's cooler out. I could be wrong but that's what I suspect. What is your entrance and bottom board set up curiously?
    my bottom board is a standard none screen board. i want to get a screened one.

I wouldn't get a screened one. Like Rod said bees are great at keeping their hive at the correct temp. They use air movement and evaporation. Too much air flow and they can't control the exchange of air enough. Ever seen a bee hive in a tree with a massive opening? That's not what they go for in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbeeguy View Post
    I agree. I’ve seen them on a mimosa cover crop in the summer getting pollen. They would be all over it before 10AM, after that absolutely nothing. Every single day was like this.