Forest Fire Smoke

Default Forest Fire Smoke

We are choking on smoke from forest fires up north in Alberta.
    A question for the folks that weathered similar situations last year - any long term (or short term) effects on apiaries from just smoke? Any mediation possible?
    Best regards,
    Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Forest Fire Smoke

There wasn’t much flying all day yesterday with the severe smoke. Got to affect amount of pollen and nectar being brought into the hive.

Looks like we’re going to having plenty of days of smoke as not much rain in the forecast.
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

It's always business as usual for the bee's the last 6yrs here in Oregon.
    I wondered about this since there is no reliable info online, even here on beesource info is a bit thin. most talk about campfire level smoke, not the pacific northwest and north cali fires that rage on for months on end. Fire here season is may/june through sept till rainy season starts. And the bee's just go on doing their work, no more no less, the bee's being bee's.
    Doing inspections, I don't see any difference in hive activity. I think the bee's get used to it after awhile. this is my observation.
    We've had it so bad the last 6yrs, it's blinding, eyes burning to the point of choking, so thick and extremely heavy.
    I also wear a p95 filter mask when I go outside.
    not fun
    DavidZ

that smoke made it here today. i would feed, i have lost honey crops and eventually hives to forest fire smoke. they just stay home and eat.

Doesn't have much adverse effect.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Smoked out here pretty good in 2017, didn’t seem to affect the bees and I still got a small crop from two new hives that had to draw comb.. honey tasted normal but you could see a grey swirl in it when it was put in a clear container.

You Canadians need to work on putting out those million acre fires! It is really smoky here in North Central Montana. Many beekeepers think it hurts the crop. My feelings are mixed on the subject. Short of whipping Justin Trudeau into action and getting those fires put down, I doubt there is much you could do.

I don't know the answer but you might be surprised that we are experiencing your smoke here in Vermont. That's 2077 mi/ 3342km. Perhaps you need to rake your forests more frequently. J

Well we have 400 million acres of forest up here... has anybody got a spare rake? ��

Quote Originally Posted by BDT123 View Post
    A question for the folks that weathered similar situations last year - any long term (or short term) effects on apiaries from just smoke? Any mediation possible?
    Folks that were in the heart of fire areas in BC over the last couple of years had very mixed results. I talked to a few at various BCHPA events. Those that were in close proximity to the fires (ie less than a couple miles) had colonies that needed extensive feeding just to stay alive. Others farther from the fires complained that they had to feed colonies in areas that would normally be producing good honey crops. Yet others reported a modest crop albeit much darker than normal, probably ash content. We did have significant periods of smoke here on the island but it wasn't bad enough to affect our overall honey crop, just a few days of terrible visibility etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlahaise View Post
    Well we have 400 million acres of forest up here... has anybody got a spare rake? ��
    The whole concept of raking forests is now a worn out joke the world over that is tired and long past being funny. The sad part is, there are apparently still folks that actually believe such drivel.

Back in the 80's when I was still working in aerial fire suppression had the opportunity to watch one of those monsters from ground zero. We were up following a lightning storm moving thru our district in the interior of BC, plotting the lightning strikes as they came down. Watched one go into a patch of beetle kill around 2 in the afternoon, then within 5 minutes we had a pinpoint smoke coming up, so we called for an air attack to nip it in the bud. The tankers were already airborne and diverted to our location, took about half an hour for them to arrive. When they did arrive, the fire was roughly 600 acres, crowning and running up the side of a ridge with a wind behind it. At that point, not much 3 loads of retardant can do to slow it, so they went on to the original target and we just watched this fire from the air. By nightfall it was roughly 10,000 acres. That one was about 20 miles from the nearest logging road, with two rivers between the road and the fire, so no possibility of getting heavy equipment into the fire line. It was filed in the 'wait for rain' category, and we watched it daily to make sure didn't jump the river on one side, or the lake on the other side.

On the bright side, fire like that one that runs thru the tops up a hillside doesn't do much damage to the tree trunks, so they pushed in a winter road with ice bridges and Plateau Mills was cutting that timber for two years.

Sorry I started the joke Grozzie, but I made it because people actually believe it. I was pointing out how preposterous such a notion is. My brother was a forest firefighter before they were called Hot Shots and there are 2 guys in my town who volunteer out west every summer to fight forest fires. I know it is a serious matter. J

Grozzie at least your CRAZIES haven't prevented you from harvesting the beetle killed and fire killed trees. We just get to breathe the smoke down here, and yours too.

We have had 'Major' fires here in Northern California for the last three or four years (Five years here in Lake County) and I believe that the number of hives that abscond has increased by at least twice.
    IMHO