what size filter do you use to strain your honey? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: what size filter do you use to strain your honey?

I looked up grit guard; it doesnt lend itself to my method.
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Ryan, that's what Frank are talking about. The difference is using it as a large strainer into another bucket or as a removable liner to get the stuff out. Removing the liner allows more surface area for honey flow plus you can do that after the extracting is done, if you have enough bags.

I also have the 200 400 600 kit and prefer the 400 filter. 200 leaves more trash behind than I like and 600 takes FOREVER To drain

Quote Originally Posted by whix View Post
    Or, you could put a "grit guard wash bucket insert" (google it) in the bottom of your bucket and leave the gate open.
    I am not sure I would want to use a plastic "grit guard wash bucket insert" for honey since all of the ones I found were not food rated. I would be inclined to use a steam tray or cooling rack. The cheap ones would probably get crushed, but these might work.

https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Wang-Mu...-garden&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/Update-Intern...y&sr=8-48&th=1

I'm not a fan of using non-food grade plastics/equipment in processing/storing our honey. Seeing honey gates installed on orange HomeDepot buckets, for instance, makes me cringe ....

Quote Originally Posted by IslandLife View Post
    I'm not a fan of using non-food grade plastics/equipment in processing/storing our honey. Seeing honey gates installed on orange HomeDepot buckets, for instance, makes me cringe ....
    I always used #2 buckets as they were said to be acceptable; however, recently the producers have come up with this 'food grade' label. Those have the 2 in the triangle also. Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to the difference. I do like them to be white.

Straining honey? Mine, unless it is heated, sits on the top of the various micron filters and will not strain. Rather than heat and strain, I have a SS settling tank where I leave the honey for at least 3 days. Then it drains very clean from the bottom outlet. The last 10% or less, loaded with wax,etc. is sieved through a common kitchen strainer and becomes house honey or give away honey for my friends.

Raw honey, rather than Pure Honey, is where its at, IMO. Dont' tell Walter Kelley!

Quote Originally Posted by Gino45 View Post
    I always used #2 buckets as they were said to be acceptable; however, recently the producers have come up with this 'food grade' label. Those have the 2 in the triangle also. Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to the difference. I do like them to be white.
    As I understand it most HDPE plastics CAN be food grade, but a No. 2 HDPE HD bucket may be manufactured with some "blow molding release agent" (just making that term up), which could leave remnants on the final product making it unsuitable for food contact use, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Mesh designations vs the metric particle size designation makes for confusion.
    FWIW - This chart might help with the confusion between mesh and microns.
    Screen mesh is the number of holes (or wires) per inch. Higher numbers are finer.
    Microns is a measure of particle diameter. Higher numbers are larger.

https://www.netafimusa.com/wp-conten...-vs-Micron.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyk View Post
    FWIW - This chart might help with the confusion between mesh and microns.
    Screen mesh is the number of holes (or wires) per inch. Higher numbers are finer.
    Microns is a measure of particle diameter. Higher numbers are larger.

https://www.netafimusa.com/wp-conten...-vs-Micron.pdf
    Correct! I have seen tray filter sets mislabled. They say micron but have the 600 label on the finest screen and the 200 label on the coarsest! Can we give them any marks for having the 400 label on the medium one?
    Frank

Food Grade #2 HDPE is made from all virgin material, so the plastic making the buckets is "clean" (its first use from raw materials). Extra points are given if also labeled "BPA Free".

If it is not labeled food grade, it is made with recycled material...these are usually the colored buckets you see at the Home Centers, hardware stores, etc.

#2 HDPE is non-reactive & safe with food, as a basic material...but recycled #2 HDPE could have some chemical residues in it from its previous uses and coloring agents.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Shear nylon from a fabric shop, can buy it 6' foot wide and cut it to fit.....

Quote Originally Posted by SallyD View Post
    What size screen do you recommend to filter my honey?
    I strain the honey through a strainer like this (http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Col.../dp/B0798TX144).

The strainer sits atop a 5-gallon bucked with a honey gate. After straining, I let the honey sit overnight. Debris that was too small to be strained out the day before floats to the top. The honey that flows out the gate is clean. The honey at the top with tiny debris is great for cooking.
    A cold bee smoker is bad for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandLife View Post
    Paint strainer bags are not food grade. Is that an issue?

Or do not strain at all. Fill the tank, wait 3 days. But it sure is a PITA to fill an 8 Oz. jar from a 3" valve.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by SallyD View Post
    Thank you groundhwg for your reply. I actually bought the double strainer honey sieve (that fits over the bucket) and the upper mesh is 1875 micron and the bottom is 650 micron - I guess i should put it through the 400 after these 2? Is anyone else using this double sieve and then filtering it again. I just don't want the honey to be cloudy. This is the item I have.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Stainles...85751621&psc=1
    Sally......I actually just got that as well. Run it through the 1875 and let it sit for a few days. then take a piece of plastic wrap and lay it on top of the honey. peel it off and trash it. all the gunk will float to the top and get stripped away with the plastic wrap. you can spoon it off too. as the top gets down to the honey gate i'd try and run it through the finer one. it will take a long time and you still might have some floating gunk to remove. Once you get a lot of honey you'll never let the level below the gate so the gunk always floats.
    Last edited by kaizen; 06-11-2019 at 06:11 AM.
    Terrence

Someone is confused. 1875 micron is much larger gaps than the 650 micron. Run it thru both, let the bucket sit, then pull off the bottom if you can. The top strainer will get the bigger stuff allowing the 650 to flow better and longer. Use the 400 if you want to; you may like the appearance. My customers seem to like it well strained so I generally get down to 200.

Quote Originally Posted by texanbelchers View Post
    Someone is confused. 1875 micron is much larger gaps than the 650 micron. Run it thru both, let the bucket sit, then pull off the bottom if you can. The top strainer will get the bigger stuff allowing the 650 to flow better and longer. Use the 400 if you want to; you may like the appearance. My customers seem to like it well strained so I generally get down to 200.
    Thanks Tex. I had it reversed. I corrected it.
    Terrence

I have the three set plastic mesh that fits on top of the 5 gal bucket. I used to do all 3 but I grew tired waiting for the finest to get done--sometimes it'd be all night getting through that last filter and then the honey is sucking up moisture all that time. So this year we went with the 600 and 400 only. The honey is not as clear, but most people like the idea of getting more pollen in the honey. We'll see

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    Sally......I actually just got that as well. Run it through the 1875 and let it sit for a few days. then take a piece of plastic wrap and lay it on top of the honey. peel it off and trash it. all the gunk will float to the top and get stripped away with the plastic wrap. you can spoon it off too. as the top gets down to the honey gate i'd try and run it through the finer one. it will take a long time and you still might have some floating gunk to remove. Once you get a lot of honey you'll never let the level below the gate so the gunk always floats.
    I started this year stopping after the 400. Its not as clear but the idea of more local pollen seems to be the craze. I would not do less than the 400.

The 600 gets bug bodies and debris out and the 400 takes care of anything else nasty. i like the idea of starting with that huge 1875 that'll keep all the wax bits from clogging the finer mesh. Might try that idea myself

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12