Tennessee beekeepers - AFB cases confirmed

Default Tennessee beekeepers - AFB cases confirmed

“The following Urgent Message on American Foulbrood Cases was just received from Mike Studer, State Apiarist:

Registered or unregistered apiaries in the following counties: Weakley, Stewart, Obion, Dyer, Henry, Gibson, Carrol, Benton, Humphreys, Houston, or Montgomery .

Tests confirmed 11 colonies in 3 apiaries were positive for American Foulbrood. These colonies were in Weakley and Stewart counties. Those colonies have been destroyed.

We will be notifying all registered beekeepers within the affected area and inspecting all apiaries within the affected area in the next few weeks. Any beekeeper that thinks they may have AFB should send an e-mail to [email protected] ASAP. Anyone that knowingly has American Foulbrood and does not report it is subject to a $500.00 fine.

Please be careful moving colonies within these counties get your local area inspectors to come out and inspect before you move anything. Anyone moving colonies out of these counties or within these counties without a health certificate is subject to a $500.00 fine.

Please everyone be diligent about hygiene when going from one apiary to the other. Designate a hive tool for each apiary or burn them between apiaries. Use disposable gloves when inspecting hives in these counties.”
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Tennessee beekeepers - AFB cases confirmed

Thanks for the info and for posting this. I'm a registered Tennessee beekeeper but didn't get the info. How did you hear about it if you don't mind me asking?
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

I like/follow the Tennessee Beekeepers Association facebook page and saw it there.

Mike Studer told me a couple weeks back that if you are registered with the state and within the x mile radius of a confirmed AFB case, he’ll be getting in touch with you to inspect ur hives.

If memory serves me correct, he personally inspects all AFB cases. The man drives from one end of the state to the other
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

Default Re: Tennessee beekeepers - AFB cases confirmed

Thanks Spur9!
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only