Found My 1st Deformed Wings - What Steps Do I Take Now? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Found My 1st Deformed Wings - What Steps Do I Take Now?

Ok, you got sold a bill of goods, ie, you paid way too much for way too little. I think getting bushpilot to be your mentor is a great idea. Truthfully, this hive is pretty much a lost cause, there are just too few bees. But I believe in giving a failing colony my best effort. Even if you lose them, you will learn something so it is not all in vain. Yes to the nuc, those bees would not even fill a two frame mating nuc so tighten them up. Yes to the plain sugar water. Essential oils can be hard on the bees digestive system. Get some brood from somewhere, even half a frame of capped is better than nothing. Do not give them any additional open brood as they appear to lack suficient bees to feed the larvae. You still have a laying queen by all accounts so stay positive. It may be better to do some sort of a combine, but let bushpilot guide you there.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Ok, you got sold a bill of goods, ie, you paid way too much for way too little. I think getting bushpilot to be your mentor is a great idea. Truthfully, this hive is pretty much a lost cause, there are just too few bees. But I believe in giving a failing colony my best effort. Even if you lose them, you will learn something so it is not all in vain. Yes to the nuc, those bees would not even fill a two frame mating nuc so tighten them up. Yes to the plain sugar water. Essential oils can be hard on the bees digestive system. Get some brood from somewhere, even half a frame of capped is better than nothing. Do not give them any additional open brood as they appear to lack suficient bees to feed the larvae. You still have a laying queen by all accounts so stay positive. It may be better to do some sort of a combine, but let bushpilot guide you there.
    Thank you! Nuc construction begins tonight...I was given a Home Depot gift card today for my Birthday gift from my boss. I will replace hive top syrup with plain sugar water when I get home after work.

What are all y'all's opinions on me making a 3 frame nuc with a top feeder, rather than a 5 frame, until they get more numbers? Edit: we have highs in the 80's & lows in the low 60's to upper 50's in the 5 day forecast, then a week of mid 70's for highs & lows in mid to upper 40's. Should weather like this be affecting my choice of how large a nuc to build?

David at Barnyard Bees has plans for 2 frame nucs on his website or linked at the bottom of some of his videos. You can make yours a three frame by adding 1-1/4" to any of the width dimensions. I would leave the nuc unpainted for now since you need it right away.

And Happy Birthday.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

David at Barnyard Bees has plans for 2 frame nucs on his website or linked at the bottom of some of his videos. You can make yours a three frame by adding 1-1/4" to any of the width dimensions. I would leave the nuc unpainted for now since you need it right away.

And Happy Birthday.
    I'm watching his nuc building videos as we speak...great minds! )

Update: Bushpilot generously brought 2 frames of capped brood & nurse bees on Sunday. When we removed the top cover, I was surprised at how many bees could be seen in the inner cover hole. The capped brood I had must have hatched since I uploaded pics. Bushpilot said the situation didn’t look as dire as the pics made it seem. He let me borrow his block board to reduce the brood box down to 5 frames. He taught me how to see eggs! That was awesome-I don’t know if I would have figured it out on my own, lol. I just did my mid-week peek to see if the 5th frame, which just had a small patch of drawn comb, had been drawn out enough to justify expanding to a 6th frame, and while they have worked on it a little since Sunday, they still have quite a way to go before the expansion is a good idea. I’m really hopeful for this colony now!

I popped the tops on my hives as well today, and saw less comb in my supers than I expected. It seems the flow tapered a little? We'll see again in a few days, today's rain and warmer days expected next week might help the flow.

Reading your first post, and looking at the photos, it is obvious you have been treated very poorly indeed.

The guy has sold you rubbish, and taken advantage of the fact you had driven 5 hours to blackmail you into taking it.

It saddens me to see a brand new inexperienced beekeeper being taken advantage of in this way, far as I'm concerned it is not even a nuc and has been sold under false pretences.

It has 1. hardly any bees. 2. no food stores. 3. possibly no queen. 4. manky old combs, plus undrawn combs. 5. infested with varroa mites and deformed wing virus. Without pretty skilled care it is unlikely to even survive.

You were completely ripped off, it just doesn't get much worse.

Me, I would send him a link to this thread, and threaten to publicly name and shame him if he does not give you a full refund. Not even considering the cost of your gas and time.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Also, he may offer to refund the money, if you return the nuc. Just tell him no.

You have been through far too much inconvenience already.

Or, you could offer to give it back if he comes over and gets it.

Just settle for money back, or full name and shame. He is a deserving case.

He earned the right to full name and shame the moment he sold her those bees. That was not a nuc that went south, it was never a nuc to begin with. Call him out and let him defend his actions in the court of public opinion. You have photos. What does he have?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Reading your first post, and looking at the photos, it is obvious you have been treated very poorly indeed.

The guy has sold you rubbish, and taken advantage of the fact you had driven 5 hours to blackmail you into taking it.

It saddens me to see a brand new inexperienced beekeeper being taken advantage of in this way, far as I'm concerned it is not even a nuc and has been sold under false pretences.

It has 1. hardly any bees. 2. no food stores. 3. possibly no queen. 4. manky old combs, plus undrawn combs. 5. infested with varroa mites and deformed wing virus. Without pretty skilled care it is unlikely to even survive.

You were completely ripped off, it just doesn't get much worse.

Me, I would send him a link to this thread, and threaten to publicly name and shame him if he does not give you a full refund. Not even considering the cost of your gas and time.
    Agreed with this, but she does have a queen (your point 3 above), as BB and I saw her. The undrawn combs were added by BB.

Of course, a queen does not a nuc make.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    I popped the tops on my hives as well today, and saw less comb in my supers than I expected. It seems the flow tapered a little? We'll see again in a few days, today's rain and warmer days expected next week might help the flow.
    Hi, I was wondering if maybe the wildfire smoke we had Monday may have also halted any production in our area? Did you find your queen?

He earned the right to full name and shame the moment he sold her those bees. That was not a nuc that went south, it was never a nuc to begin with. Call him out and let him defend his actions in the court of public opinion. You have photos. What does he have?
    Thank you, everyone, for the advice...I do usually listen, I swear. It's just that I don't deal with conflict very well. I have already requested my refund on pick up day, and was denied. I agree, I wasn't sold a quality nuc and I don't feel like I was dealt with fairly. However, I am incapable of dealing with the stress of the ensuing conflict I see coming if I follow all of your advice on requesting my refund again, and the public shaming aspect. I have an auto-immune disorder. In order to be able to cope in the most effective way possible, I have found it necessary to keep myself away from stress and conflict whenever I am able to. If I don't protect myself in this manner, my nerve pain gets flared up & it can take quite some time for it to become manageable again. I could have requested my bank to reverse the charge, once my refund request was denied by the seller, but decided that I will not pursue any further possible interaction as I did leave with that nuc. I have chosen to let this one go.

I know now that if I ever want to pursue Old Sol genetics again, to just drive the additional hours to buy directly from that Apiary. I will never recommend another beekeeper to go to a seller they don't have personal recommendations for dealing with. I didn't know anyone who bought from this guy before, so I did take a chance in pre-paying a non refundable price. At least that part was made perfectly clear - that the asking price was to be paid in advance and was non refundable.

I really appreciate all the help I have received from all of you, and especially feel like I have the kindest mentor I could ever ask for in Bushpilot. I just want to focus on the education I am receiving in the process of attempting to save this hive. I need to formulate a clear plan on the mite treatment I will be starting once I receive my Oxalic Vaporizer I ordered, and once it's advisable for this colony.

Quote Originally Posted by BumblingBeek View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if maybe the wildfire smoke we had Monday may have also halted any production in our area? Did you find your queen?
    I didn't do an inspection, just checked the top super. So negative on the queen.

I don't think the smoke is intense enough to matter yet. If they are flying, I expect that they are foraging. They are all over the raspberries right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BumblingBeek View Post
    I have chosen to let this one go.
    You are more generous than I, but fair enough, there is a time to walk away.

Sounds like Bush Pilot has matters in hand and is doing the right things, so all the best, keep us informed how things work out.

Hi all, I just thought I would give updates. I did this inspection 2 days ago, and the hive feels so much more vibrant and vigorous! I have removed the follower board, and they have the run of all 10 frames in their deep box. 4 of those frames haven't been drawn out yet, but here are pictures of where the action's at. This is a shot of what it looks like when I first remove the inner cover...and a little experiment I did to see if they'd take to drawing their own comb on a foundationless wood frame I stuck in the center. 8 days prior to this photo, there was only about a half inch and a 1 inch column started on these, and now the queen has an egg or open larvae in every cell on both sides that's not capped brood:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are the 2 frames BushPilot donated to the hive, still with some capped brood, open larvae, and eggs on both frames. I have the kindest Mentor any beginning beekeeper could ever hope for!

Here are the 2 frames that I kept from the original Nuc. The first is the honey frame the seller donated to replace the frame feeder with. He had scratched up both sides, but it looks like the workers have been busy repairing all they can and filling these cells with new nectar & pollen - they seem to have removed all the white pollen that came in this frame. Both sides of this one pretty much look the same. Then the final pic is the little patch of partially drawn frame I added to the hive when the follower board and donated brood frames were added - these bees just really aren't very motivated to draw out this frame. I did add a 2nd foundation free frame between 2 capped frames during this inspection, to see if they get to work on it with vigor like the first one I tried. We are having some pretty warm nights now, so I hope this isn't too much messing around in the brood box. Also, on a side note, the seller emailed me out of the blue a few weeks ago to ask how the colony is doing. I explained my frustration and detailed all the steps we've taken in an attempt to save them. While he stood firm in his no refund policy, he did say that since my mentor has given me such solid advice and help, he'd like me to see if they can make it through the winter, and if they don't he offered me a discounted rate on a replacement nuc or to ship a mated queen to me for free next spring, my choice. So, while I still don't feel like that's fair, at least he's willing to do something. I sure as heck am not driving all that way again, so I think I'll take him up on the shipped queen offer...After all, what would that hurt?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12