Skeps - good resources to learn more about em?

Question Skeps - good resources to learn more about em?

Hi, all,

could anyone recommend some good resources for learning more about skeps?

thanks,
    Thomas
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Not to be that guy, but the reason it's hard to find info on skeps is because they are illegal in the state's I believe. Kept hives have to have the ability to be inspected.

That being said I would explore basketweaving forums for people who would know how to make them.

Default Re: Skeps - good resources to learn more about em?

No, I get it. I know about the moveable frame legal thing. Also, I can't see me weaving straw, too time consuming.

I just had some curiosities about the thinking and the design as might influence my beekeeping.

For example, why the singular entrance hole and so small.

Natural Bee Husbandry (published in UK where I think they are legal) has an article about them, which piqued my curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhaupt2 View Post
    Not to be that guy, but the reason it's hard to find info on skeps is because they are illegal in the state's I believe. Kept hives have to have the ability to be inspected.

That being said I would explore basketweaving forums for people who would know how to make them.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    I just had some curiosities about the thinking and the design as might influence my beekeeping.
    For example, why the singular entrance hole and so small.
    The AMM colonies which are/were kept in skeps (in the heathlands of Germany) are/were very small by your standards. When it came time to select colonies to keep for the next season, those which were both smaller and larger than appropriate for the size of the skep were culled.

Natural Bee Husbandry (published in UK where I think they are legal) has an article about them, which piqued my curiosity.fixed-comb
    Debatable. Although there's no specific prohibition of skeps or other forms of fixed-comb hive in the legislation - Inspectors are empowered to take whatever steps they consider necessary to assure themselves that an apiary is disease-free. So - should Inspectors want to make a thorough examination, then they are authorised by law to physically remove each comb - which places any form of fixed-comb hive in some jeopardy.

Those Warre beekeepers who adhere to a fixed-comb methodology are particularly vocal in their protests about (what they see as) such hive destruction.
    LJ

PS. If you do a Google for "youtube german heather skep apiary" there are a series of videos which cover the whole season. This is the first:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2IjNBbLESY
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Thank you very much for your reply Little John!
    Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    The AMM colonies which are/were kept in skeps (in the heathlands of Germany) are/were very small by your standards. When it came time to select colonies to keep for the next season, those which were both smaller and larger than appropriate for the size of the skep were culled.

Debatable. Although there's no specific prohibition of skeps or other forms of fixed-comb hive in the legislation - Inspectors are empowered to take whatever steps they consider necessary to assure themselves that an apiary is disease-free. So - should Inspectors want to make a thorough examination, then they are authorised by law to physically remove each comb - which places any form of fixed-comb hive in some jeopardy.

Those Warre beekeepers who adhere to a fixed-comb methodology are particularly vocal in their protests about (what they see as) such hive destruction.
    LJ

PS. If you do a Google for "youtube german heather skep apiary" there are a series of videos which cover the whole season. This is the first:

Look up "heathland beekeeping" on youtube. There are something like 8 short video's following Georg Klindworth through his season. Narrated in english and absolutely fascinating.

Here is part 1.