Illinois and Wisconsin Beekeepers & Mid West

Default Illinois and Wisconsin Beekeepers & Mid West

Given our bad, rainy and cold weather is anyone expecting any significant amount of honey this year?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Illinois and Wisconsin Beekeepers & Mid West

Maybe, if the weather in June improves and you have a strong colony, there is still a chance to collect some major linden honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Plannerwgp View Post
    Given our bad, rainy and cold weather is anyone expecting any significant amount of honey this year?
    Why not?
    The summer is only just starting.

The major flow chances be at the mid/end of June (basswood), July (sweet clovers), end of August through September (golden rods).
    Any commercial crops if available (alfalfa, etc).
    As long as you have your bees set and ready AND the weather is favorable - sure.
    More important things is - keep your bees from swarming away due to the idle time.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Plannerwgp View Post
    personally I see it being "increase" over past years.
    2 main reasons:
    a) poor weather keeps the bees in and they wear their wings out slower allowing for faster spring population build up.
    b) moisture translates to bigger plants bigger flowers more nectar, shorter dearth.

only issue i can see is swarming due to population build up, but if you can get past that I see a bigger year this year.
    Now if your bees got flooded then that is a different story. the max bee population should be bigger this year and the delay will cause more plants to be in nectar later and likely no august dearth. again every locale will have its own local differences.

Had slop yesterday, expect it today. Bees building well. I expect others to have alot in the trees in 2 weeks.

Crazy Roland

I got honey supers on late because it was cold and wet. Didnt want to give them a ton of extra space. Then they built up quick and swarmed on me then backfilled the hive with nectar. So Ive made some unexpected spits this spring with extra Q cells and I expect an ok honey crop because the hives went mostly broodless durring the flow.

Today I am checking on about 10 or more colonies that received nucs about 2 weeks ago. I dont think they have progressed very much due to cold and rain. I may add a queen excluder and a top entrance even if I dont see much progress.

I stand pat with my "in the trees" prediction. Alot of capped brood, and slop coming in. When that capped brood hatches, things will get crowded without proper care.

Crazy Roland

I placed excluders on about 13 colonies yesterday with one deep. I also used an Emrie shim above the excluder. One day after, about 9 had a small number of bees that had moved up, I suspect they were the stronger colonies. I think Roland is right about the trees. I expect swarming as I have a lot of brood just waiting for a change in weather. Swarming will occur with either one or two deeps, and with or without excluders. I will have a lot of management to do very soon. Just waiting for a no rainy day.
    Last edited by Plannerwgp; 06-04-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I stand pat with my "in the trees" prediction. Alot of capped brood, and slop coming in. When that capped brood hatches, things will get crowded without proper care.

Crazy Roland
    Hi Roland, Have you ever tried a fly back split placing a ripe queen cell in an empty deep at the original hive location? I have 3 of several hive that are too big for this early (40 frames of bees) I also have some queen cells, I was thinking of doing fly back splits to the queen cells to bleed some bees off the bigger hives and to give the cells a place to hatch and to make increase. As an option I could pull a NUC off each one to put the Cell into as well.
    GG

hang up 1/3 of the brood. Come back in 6 ? days. Transfer frames to a new hive and add a cell. The hatching bees will not return to the old hive. If you place 10 frames of bees and brood in a hive, they will shortly be at full strength.

Had a swarm land in a stack of Que boxes on 6-2-2019. not my bees. One hive here, Cordovan . The swarm is much darker.

Crazy Roland