EFB dilemma - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: EFB dilemma

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Algoma District Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    Too bad all these links come up face book, a place I have never made the leap to participate at.
    Cheers
    gww
    I do not have any connection to Facebook but I can open the links without any commitments or acceptance. I am using Firefox browser.
    Frank

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Rosebud Missouri
    Posts
    4,015

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    Frank
    I am using the cheapest lap top that I could find and it is 6 or 7 years old. I don't have the ambition to learn new computer stuff but just incase I change, thanks for the tip.
    gww
    zone 5b

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Triadelphia, West Virginia
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Well things are getting worse. I went to another yard 45 minutes away and found two hives there that appear to have efb as well. They look just like the confirmed efb hive. Now I don't know what I'm going to do. I need to go through my main apiary and check all 22 hives. If it's just the three (really starting to doubt that now) I'll euthanize and burn but if it's more I think I might give OTC a try. I can't euthanize and burn 40 hives, most are double deeps with two supers. That's a lot of equipment, at least it is to me. Really bumming right now. I won't be able to check the rest of the hives until Tuesday because of schedule and weather. I'll try to update when I know more.

    -Mike

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jackson county, alabama, usa
    Posts
    10,148

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    ...and you won't be able to use antibiotics with honey supers on.

    i am currently running a test with a non-infected colony (a very robust and grabbing a high gear caught swarm) to which i have introduced frames from euthanized efb colonies after 'disinfecting' them with bleach. so far no sick larvae, but i'll have a better sense of it next weekend.

    efb is a hellava mess.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Triadelphia, West Virginia
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Yes I'll have to pull supers first. Or maybe just all supers on hives that show signs of efb and treat them, then after flow treat the rest since they are still packing it in.

    Can any vet issue the VFD? There's a local vet that I know although I haven't talked to her in many years I think she would help me out if I asked. Is there a form or something I need to print out so she can fill it out? I would order from Kelly or Mann lake probably. Anything I need to know about ordering? I really don't know what my next step is going to be, I guess it all depends on the next inspection. I don't have any idea where this came from.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jackson county, alabama, usa
    Posts
    10,148

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    yes, any willing vet can issue the vfd. i let mann lake and my vet work out the details with each other, they did it via fax.

    i found out after the fact about 7 (mostly new) beekeepers within flying distance of my yards that imported bees from out of state only to have most of those colonies collapse for reasons unknown.

    i've been careful not to blame any of them in particular, but we haven't seen efb around here in decades.

    i suspect some of the efb that is popping up here and there is related to the package bee industry using shook bees after almond pollination to make up packages and nucs, and distributing them all over the country to meet what is now a very high demand for bees.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    syracuse n.y.
    Posts
    5,232

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    using shook bees after almond pollination to make up packages and nucs, and distributing them all over the country to meet what is now a very high demand for bees.
    no doubt you are correct, now with the correct amount of publicity maybe next year the demand will drop
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jackson county, alabama, usa
    Posts
    10,148

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    now with the correct amount of publicity maybe next year the demand will drop...
    i'm not holding my breath. everybody and their brother are convinced they need to 'save the bees'. demand far exceeds supply around here and most likely everywhere else. can't blame the commercials for wanting to make an easier buck than bulk honey prices are bringing.

    this ship has sailed. i've gone into full defensive mode.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    I was successfully able to get a VFD today. The vet was very willing to issue a VFD. I emphasized that this is an emergency, that the bees have an incredibly contagious bacteria.

    Mann lake has a form that they emailed to me last evening when I called. I was responsible for getting that form completed.

    Mann lake prefers that the form is sent directly to them from the vet.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    McCon.

    Here's how it progressed for me.

    14 days ago I found absolutely no issues with brood frame, but it's probably such that one of the colonies had early symptoms that I missed.

    7 days ago I found one of my hives to have quite advanced EFB symptoms, I ordered a vita test kit. I noticed there were two more than had similar, less advanced symptoms.

    2 days ago, my strongest hive that was in perfect condition 14 days ago now had significant evidence of spotty brood pattern. That was my strongest hive, it succumbed within 2 weeks.

    IMO - do whatever is in your power to get OTC.
    Last edited by username00101; 06-08-2019 at 09:36 PM.

  12. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Triadelphia, West Virginia
    Posts
    580

    Default

    I was contacted yesterday by a beekeeper in Wheeling, she lost four of her five hives to efb this year and number five has it now. She's just giving up for this year. Another beek from Morristown OH also texted looking for advice on how to deal with efb. I referred both to this site and told them what little I've learned. Not sure what's going on but it seems like an outbreak around here . Called my buddy with twenty or so hives about a half hour away and told him to.be on the lookout.

  13. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Triadelphia, West Virginia
    Posts
    580

    Default

    No idea where this is coming from. My two infected yards have their own set of hi e tools, jackets, and smokers. The yard at the farm does have commercial hives on both sides of it and I know he imports packages every year to replace winter losses(he is treatment free). I don't know of any nearby beeks to my main yard bit that doesn't mean there aren't any. I'm wondering if there was a bad package shipment that came into the area?

  14. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Triadelphia, West Virginia
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Good news, called the vet nearest me first and he filled out VFD no problem. Now to order. Should I get Terra pro from Mann lake?

  15. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    McCon, congrats.

    I got terra-pro powder, 10lb bucket.

    Are there any other products in the USA to purchase?

    I noticed that they only allow the purchase of one quantity of Terra-pro with each directive.

    They sell terra-pro patties, and terra pro powder. Anyone know which is more effective?

  16. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Triadelphia, West Virginia
    Posts
    580

    Default

    I got Terra pro powder, two ten pound buckets. I wasn't sure how much to order, hopefully that's enough to treat fortyish hives. I've been down the last few days with my illness but as soon as I'm able I will treat the obviously infected hives, already pulled their supers. Waiting on a motor kit for my maxant 3100 and my son to have some time off from work then I'll pull the rest and treat them.

    Spring flow is done, they're on the clover now.
    I should have a little over two months to treat before fall flow begins. I read at least six weeks after last treatment before adding aupers again, is that right? I don't want any antibiotics in my honey.

  17. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    250

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    Two 10 lb buckets should be more than enough.

  18. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Triadelphia, West Virginia
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Update. After going through every hive only four had it. My wife checked her notes and it turns out all four hives originated from a trapped swarm from last summer. All of my bees originated from trapped swarms. The two at the farm were early spring splits this year from the original trapped swarm hive that was infected. The other infected nuc at the home yard was a split from the original made at the same time, original was getting ready to swarm. So I spread it to my other yard.

    IF I continue to trap swarms I will use my yard on the PA border as a quarantine yard from now on. I was just bringing them to whatever yard as I trapped them. I have four trapped swarms still in the traps (10 frame deeps) in trees from this spring. I only put out four traps due to health reasons this year.

    So i treated all hives three times as a precaution and plan on treating the remaining three infected hives five times at least. I destroyed one nuc that had it bad. The three remaining are doing quite well and brood patterns are looking much better. All of the others show no signs of efb at all even the hive right next to the patient zero hive. I chose to only treat the asymptomatic hives three times so I would have nine weeks between treatment and the return of supers. The three remaining hives will not be used for honey this fall and will be treated at least two more times. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets for me, we will see. Now it's time to start mite treatments with OAV.

  19. #38
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    6,773

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    I have found Mann Lake Terra patty to be very effective.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

  20. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jackson county, alabama, usa
    Posts
    10,148

    Default Re: EFB dilemma

    excellent update mcon, many thanks.

    very cool how you were able to trace the source and spread, way to go with your note keeping!

    good luck with your fall flow.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •