Pigs & Bees

Thread: Pigs & Bees

Default Pigs & Bees

I have a question for those here on farms. We're looking at pasturing some pigs next summer, which means the pigs will share space with my hives. Right not we have goats, ducks, turkeys & chickens in the pasture, and they do fine with the bees (e.g. everyone ignores each other). Pigs are a little more destructive and are a lot broader in their "dietary choices"...so I was wondering if they could share space with the hives, or if I should run a few hot wires around the hives to keep the pigs out.

Thanks

Bryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have never had bees in with my pigs, but I can tell you that pigs love to push EVERYTHING around. I have 55 gallon barrels with nozzles on them for watering, and I have to chain them to fence posts to keep them from being pushed around. It isn't necessarily that they are trying to be destructive, they are just inquisitive and like to play with everything. Add in the fact that the hives will smell like a delicious treat and I am sure that will add even more incentive for them. You will definitely need to do something to keep the pigs away from the hives and an electric fence should work well.

Default Re: Pigs & Bees

Quote Originally Posted by bobs346 View Post
    I have never had bees in with my pigs, but I can tell you that pigs love to push EVERYTHING around. I have 55 gallon barrels with nozzles on them for watering, and I have to chain them to fence posts to keep them from being pushed around. It isn't necessarily that they are trying to be destructive, they are just inquisitive and like to play with everything. Add in the fact that the hives will smell like a delicious treat and I am sure that will add even more incentive for them. You will definitely need to do something to keep the pigs away from the hives and an electric fence should work well.
    Yep, good advice ^^^. Pigs like to rub on anything to ease that itch. Check the hot wire often...pigs seem to smell when they ain't working. I'd prefer the welded wire hog panels to keep the the hogs away.

I agree, the welded wire panels would be better. It doesn't matter if the power fails!

Thanks everyone!

We used to put up electric fences for hogs and would use a hammer to measure the necessary height from the ground. These fences were done with electric fence wire and tobacco sticks. I will bet that high tensile wire would work much better.