Commiserate: Worst Advice You've Ever Followed, & Subsequent Disastrous Results - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    There are quite a few bees natural inclinations that are quite predictable or at least highly possible. Not quite as firm as the moves of the chess pieces, but if some piece of advice does not agree with those moves you better not bet the farm on it.

Once you get those basic moves under your hat a person can usually reason out a workable course of action. Somebody else may have a more efficient solution so it helps to look over lots of advice given. It is easy to get paralyzed though, in the face of conflicting advice if you have no standard to compare it to.
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    As with most things in life, it is the “absolutes”, and the over-manipulation to steer clear of.
    My kids are going to be so fortunate to be able to grow up with beekeeping, so they won’t have to learn the hard ways. I sorely wish I could have helped an experienced Beekeeper maintain their hives for a season before I jumped in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Was told all you have to do to start a new hive was to put a couple frames of brood in a box. ****** Not the greatest idea and lacking a few key details.

Default Re: Commiserate: Worst Advice You've Ever Followed, & Subsequent Disastrous Results

Quote Originally Posted by ncbeez View Post
    Was told all you have to do to start a new hive was to put a couple frames of brood in a box. ****** Not the greatest idea and lacking a few key details.
    Yikes! What happened?

Default Re: Commiserate: Worst Advice You've Ever Followed, & Subsequent Disastrous Results

Quote Originally Posted by BumblingBeek View Post
    And my bad advice was "a netted truck load of hives will never smother". They can and I got in an unfortunate situation where I lost almost 500 hives under a net. I've also had a couple close calls with screened boxes of brood. Bees need ventilation, bees most definitely need ventilation.
    What an awful day that must have been! Was the net on to prevent escaping if there was a wreck?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was. In a nutshell it was a load of almost 300 double nucs (2, 4 combers per box) loaded early one morning for a 900 mile trip, then because of a mechanical issue decided to park it in deep shade on a day with afternoon temps peaking out around 70 degrees. By the time we returned with the parts we needed for the fix the damage had already been done with loads of dead bees and a sickening stench. Just too many large hives and too little screen area. It was a hard lesson learned.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by ncbeez View Post
    Yikes! What happened?
    Usually they would never amount to much. Would be queenless or a dud. It took me a while to realize the importance of nurse bees and eggs/ larva of the right age.

Another one: Feed them all they will take.
    My results: They swarmed a lot more. Also in my earlier days I am sure I harvested some honey from sugar water.

Shoot the list would take an hour to make. If there was "THE" one thing I could go back and change is when I first read about treatment free beekeeping. I wish lighting would have struck and destroyed my computer it would have saved me thousands.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

The solid vs. screened bottom board conflicting opinions has been a source of frustration for me. I can’t wait until my ultra hygienic Bee Weaver Queen arrives. She’s going to get a solid bottom board for sure.

It must be entirely possible to provide plenty enough ventilation without the screened bottom board because one of my favorite YouTubers, Fredrick Dunn, has only used solid since he began 12 years ago.
    I'll trade you a solid bottom board for that screened one I sold you! :-) (serious offer if you want it)

I use all screened bottoms on my hives. i have not tried solids enough to know the difference. But most of the time I have the bottoms closed, so I don't get much ventilation through them anyway. In the winter, I tape the back slot closed, to close it up more. I do open it up sometimes in July and August.

What I like them for is that they give a "window" into the hive. For example, I know I am starting to get mites, because I see them there. I know there is a lot of pollen coming in, they are making wax, cappings are being opened, and the hive is dry, all by pulling the board out and looking at it for a few seconds. It allows me to do mini inspections without a lot of fanfare. That is why I use a screened board.

Back to the topic - everyone has been real helpful to me. Most of my errors were caused by good advice misunderstood or improperly implemented by me.

Quote Originally Posted by nhoyt View Post
    "Do not put the queen cage in you pocket after you are done with it"
    Had like 500 bees on my leg and in my pocket. In reality it was very amazing because I took the queen cage out and wait a bit and they all went to my hand.
    Thank you for this one.
    I put my queen catcher in my jacket pocket and didn't even think about this. Haven't had a 'Pocket Swarm' yet, but I can definitely see it happening.... cage stays in small carry box I carry from hive to hive now.

"IPM will let you go treatment free"

Nucs dont need mite treatment the first season! lucky I got shed of that idea before it was too late.
    Frank

I learned that one from the internet. Was not worried about mite control. First hive, and the only one I've ever bought for myself, died that fall. Part of that steep learning curve. Good thing I learned about splits and swarm trapping my first year too.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Starting TF with free mating.

After bear destroyed nearly all my mating hives, I wanted to ease my work load and start a new kind of system without isolated mating yard queens.

Ended up losing nearly all hives.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I learned that one from the internet. Was not worried about mite control. First hive, and the only one I've ever bought for myself, died that fall. Part of that steep learning curve. Good thing I learned about splits and swarm trapping my first year too.
    Did you catch swarms the following spring? Or in your first year? I have never seen a swarm, but I live in a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Starting TF with free mating.

After bear destroyed nearly all my mating hives, I wanted to ease my work load and start a new kind of system without isolated mating yard queens.

Ended up losing nearly all hives.
    does TF stand for treatment free?

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Nucs dont need mite treatment the first season! lucky I got shed of that idea before it was too late.
    you know, I was fortunate enough to have my mentor in my Caucasian hive with me, which I purchased as a nuc last month, and even though we found evidence of VSH, I still had a mite on my hand! I will begin treatment soon...

Quote Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
    "IPM will let you go treatment free"
    What all was involved in the IPM you attempted? We’re y able to save any of the colonies in the end?

Starting out treatment free because "Anyone can do it!". It cost me hundreds of dollars and the frustration practically destroyed my ego and self confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    Starting out treatment free because "Anyone can do it!". It cost me hundreds of dollars and the frustration practically destroyed my ego and self confidence.
    Oh that really sucks. How many years are you into beekeeping now? I'm glad you didn't let it end beekeeping for you and you got to the bottom of the problems.

Told treatment free was not possible and you had to count mites.

Glad that I am a slow learner and lazy and cheap. So far so good, knock on wood and all the other caveats that come along with knowing things may change. I might be doing better if I tried another way but could not be happier so far that I did not learn early how to treat. I don't have a way to compare cause I have not tried a different way. I don't have to order anything from a store ever and bee keeping could not be easier.

4th summer and no Crystal ball here. I guess I would rather be lucky then good.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast