Brand New Beekeeper From Eastern Washington

Default Brand New Beekeeper From Eastern Washington

Hi! My name is Wendy. I am a new beekeeper as of 4/27/19, when I installed my first package of Saskatraz from Olivarez Honey Bees. The following week, I picked up a Caucasian Nuc of Old Sol Stock from Urban Bee across the state (5 hours of driving, one way, then 7 hours back because Urban Bee told me to pull over every 30 minutes to mist the vent holes!). I also have a Bee Weaver Queen on order, arriving next week, which I will be adding to a split I am making from the Saskatraz. I live in the Inland Northwest, which means rainy, wet, windy falls and springs, super hot & dry summers, and snowy/icy winters. My hives are located in my large organic backyard vegetable garden - we live on a double city lot. The other half of my backyard is occupied with our 11 free range hens, and my mini fruit & nut orchard. I am in the process of ripping out all the sod in our front yard in order to plant an entirely nectar-rich, pollinator friendly, drought tolerant cottage garden. I started almost 400 plants from seed in late winter to plant in it! You could say I'm pretty passionate about helping the pollinators as much as humanly possible. My short-term goals include an entirely edible landscape (which either feeds our family, or the bees, or both), successfully overwintering all 3 colonies, and improving my very basic woodworking skills. My next year's goal is delving into queen rearing. My long-term goal is to buy as much land as I can, expand my apiary, and produce honey, cut comb, propolis, pollen, ointments, lotions, candies, candles, hive components, queens, & overwintered nucs for sale. I would love to see what the mix of genetics I am beginning with can breed into future daughter queens. I have some family members who would love to help see these goals realized, and will be helping regularly in the hive maintenance & production end. Doing things as chemical-free as possible is highly important to me. I obviously need a few years under my belt before I begin accomplishing the long-term goals, and I have a lot of learning to do! I'm excited to become a member of this community, as I know it is no substitute for a mentor, but I have been unsuccessful at finding one to date. I have to admit that I'm vulnerable to random internet advice if it sounds logical enough to my exceedingly inexperienced brain, so I'm hoping some on this forum will be willing to set me straight when I'm considering following misguided methods in beekeeping. Thank you very much for being here, I look forward learning from you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Brand New Beekeeper From Eastern Washington

Wow already off to an epic start! Best of luck and welcome!
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Welcome and good luck!
    Rod

Hi Wendy,

I live nearby, and would be willing to help with "online" mentoring (via text, email, PM, or phone), and maybe a visit when needed, depending on how far apart we live. I live in North Spokane county. Are you a member of any local beekeeper club, such as Backyard Beekeepers? (I suspect you are, and that we have met.)

Shoot me a PM via this forum, and I will give you my contact info.

Greg

Thanks everyone for the welcome and warm wishes!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    . Are you a member of any local beekeeper club, such as Backyard Beekeepers? (I suspect you are, and that we have already met.)

Greg
    Hi Greg, wow so close! I may have purchased my first hive from you via CL. Was that you? I am a member of Backyard Beekeepers Association, but joined late in the season and family issues have prevented me from coming to the two meetings they’ve held since I signed up...high hopes for the June meeting! It is so very kind of you to offer your time and energy in my beekeeping. I will pm you:-)

Quote Originally Posted by BumblingBeek View Post
    I may have purchased my first hive from you via CL. Was that you?
    Guilty as charged, no wonder you sounded familiar!