Cowen Uncapper troubleshooting

Default Cowen Uncapper troubleshooting

A local beekeeper let me use this uncapper he had sitting in a barn. Unfortunately it needs some work. I plugged it in and it worked for about five seconds it was kinda shocking to me so I turned it off. When I went to turn it back on it just humms at the switch it doesn’t appear bound up maybe there’s an electrical issue? Anyone have any experience with these.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cowen Uncapper troubleshooting

usually only hums when a frame is stuck going down, try reversing the switch, may be jammed up???
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Does it make this sound with nothing in it? If so, I would bet on the start capacitor being bad.* My table saw did the exact same thing. Try taking the belts off and see if the motor spins.

*I have never used an uncapper and probably never will, but I have repaired a bunch of electric motor issues

Assuming the motor turns freely by hand with the belts removed, I would also double check the voltages, including the supply and amp load if you are using a long extension cord. If that all checks out, the motor start capacitor like Steve mentioned is most likely. However, if the unit shocked you, there is something else going on, like L1 or L2 is in contact with the housing.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I have the same uncapper and have the same problem now and then.
    I turn the motor pulley (under power) and it runs again.

It won’t go forward or reverse and there’s nothing on it. Good idea to remove belt and try it thanks. Simple idea but I probably wouldn’t of thought of it myself. I bet it is the capacitor. I will check voltages and get a heavier extension cord.

By shocked I meant the noise and fact that it actually worked caught me off guard. Not an electrical shock.

I see some other issues. The spring to hold the knives together is not right, and the slip clutch for the drive chains will need to be re-engineered. You may also need to tinker with the trip dogs that drop the frames. They where never right. It looks like the first casting , which was stiffer than the second pattern.

Crazy Roland