Elbow Entrance

Thread: Elbow Entrance

Default Elbow Entrance

I wasnít sure to post here or in the pest/disease section, so here goes: Has anyone heard, or incorporated, a pvc elbow facing down as an entrances? These are placed at the upper portion of the hive box. A solid foundation board is utilized instead of a normal bottom board. I have heard that small hive beetles cannot hover, therefore they are less able or unable to gain access into the hive. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, and happy Memorial Day to you all! God bless the U.S.A.!,,

JB

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Elbow Entrance

I have read somewhere that an elbow fitting makes it more difficult for hornets etc., to duck into a hive. Much less attractive than the common 16" wide entrance slot.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
    Has anyone heard, or incorporated, a pvc elbow facing down as an entrances? These are placed at the upper portion of the hive box. A solid foundation board is utilized instead of a normal bottom board. I have heard that small hive beetles cannot hover, therefore they are less able or unable to gain access into the hive. Any info would be appreciated.
    That's what this guy on YouTube says (starting at 13:07): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QE2FhIVNTI

And you know if some guy says it on YouTube it must be true.

I guess you could always “church” it up to make it more appealing to beeks, but i’m almost positive the bees may not care. Ha, ha! Thanks for the response, Crofter.

Thatís where I think I heard it first, Hobo. Thanks.

JB

I am a noob but wonder how would the bees remove their dead?

Same way they do when you use a robbing screen. They pick them up, carry them outside, and fly away with them. If I were to use any sort of PVC fittings in a hive, I would sand the surfaces the bees need to walk on as the plastic is very slick.

BTW, welcome to Beesource. You picked an interesting thread to make your first post. Head on over to the welcome forum and introduce yourself. Try to include your location as well. MO is a big state.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Saw this a couple days ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFwYNqjdUIg
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC